Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hard Start Issues...Please Help!!!

Old October 20th, 2010, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Start Issues...Please Help!!!

I have a 99 tahoe that is having a hard time starting when the engine is cold. I have replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, MAF sensor, air filter, Serpentine belt, and fuel filter. I had the battery and starter checked and they checked out fine. I do however have a small crack in my catalytic converter that I am fixing today. the only other symptoms I am having is that fact that my "Check Engine Light" doesnt always come on when I put the key in the ignition and trun it until the lights come on on the dash. Can anyone help me, I have no idea where to go from here.........
Old October 20th, 2010, 7:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

given that it is a 99 you might want to try cleaning the injectors or running a few bottles of Techron thru a few tanks of gas to clean up the injectors a bit....
if 2 or 3 bottles in a tank of gas make some improvement then the injectors need to be cleaned or replaced
Old October 20th, 2010, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the fuel pressure bleeding off due to a bad drain back valve in the fuel pump. Extremely common.
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Test the fuel pressure. I agree with the MD dude, the check valve in the pump can fail giving you a hard start when the engine is cold or 1st start in the morning. Chief symptom is always extended cranking before starting.
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Check the fuel Pressure with the key in the ignition it should be 60 to 66 PSI and stay there if it doesnt it is a bad Fuel pressure regulator and that is under your upper intake takes about 4 hours to change out if you take your time and clean everything up. If you dont have at least 60 PSI you need to change out your fuel pump.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced the FPR yesterday and as soon as I put everything back together the truck started right up but this morning it was back to the same long start issues. I have run a few bottles of seafoam through it over the past couple weeks but that hasn't helped at all. The only other issue I see is re fact that te SES light doesn't come on when the key is in the on position. Could this have something to do with it?
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replace the pump
Old October 21st, 2010, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is almost never the regulator on those trucks and almost always the pump. If it were the regulator the truck would run like crap after it finally started because all the fuel that leaked out of the regulator would be in the intake.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

I was leaning towards the pump too until this morning, the truck wouldnt start at all. I jumped the truck and it fired up on the second try. I thought it was my injectors too but I have ran a few bottles of Seafoam through my fuel system already and when I had the codes read by a shop, they said that the injectors were fine. I have a busted weld on the front of one my cats but I didnt think that would have anything to do with it either. The temp gage raises to about 220 when warming up and drops back down to normal when warm but it only does this on initial warm up of the day. Im pulling at straws here still.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

So, I just performed a second fuel pressure test. I tested the pressure after the pump but before the filter. The pressure was the same. Its reading about 62 with key in the On position, at startup, it drops to about 55 and while running it maintains 53 psi. I tested the Coolant temp sensor and that checked out fine also. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Start Issues...Please Help!!!