Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2008, 6:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?

I was only able to get the DVD screen to drop down. Never was able to dislodge the IR transmitter but luckily enough I only saw one pink wire. There was however 2 white wires. I ohmed out the wiring harness until I figured out the wire that was coming up from the harness. I then soldered a 3 inch lengthof wire to join the two wires and insulated off the now cut supply pink wire that was cut away asyou instructed.

As an addition to your directions I used the blue/white wire heading to that particular white wire in the black harness as it was much easier to get to when the harness was unplugged. I made up the wires as you instructed and attached the small relay with enough wire to plunk into the cavity behind the radio after I insulated it. The amount of space on this particular installation was prohibitive. I did test the reverse camera (uninstalled) by plugging it in and it came right alive going into reverse. It does have some setup required in the Kenwood but it's fairly intuitive. Everything worked and the sound did come quitealive in the wireless headphones. Very satisfying... Crutchfield was supposed to call me back today with their go ahead but never did.

Thanks for everything Shawn and please send me a message with your address. I'm only buyingyou lunch so don't get too excited. But I tip the worthless waitress at Denny's so why not someone who's actually helpingyou when they're not getting paid for it. I will post the pictures of the screen drop and the relay sitting in it's hole behind the radio.

Have a great Thanksgiving...

Gary
Old November 22nd, 2008, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

Probably ought to ask what the best method of getting it down the side of the vehicle. Is there a better area to run it in and is there any online drawings of the cavities in the Tahoe model? I am already thinking I need to drill a hole in the door jams and send a fibreglass rod that I use for house wiring in there.

Thanks... Gary
Old November 23rd, 2008, 8:07 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No drilling involved.....if you pull the panel off of the hatch, and the panel off of the rear of the headliner, and pull out the rubber boot at the hatch...you can run the wire through the boot into the vehicle, to the right, down to the floor, tuck it under the rear panel up to the rear door, pull off the front and rear sill plates, and then from there tuck it under the carpet all the way up to the front.

As for the lunch, don't worry about it man....just spread the knowledge when someone asks you about it
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
CF Active Member

Well I just returned inside from a look at the panel removal you just spoke of and it looks like it's time to ask Shawn again. This is getting embarrassing... I really didn't see much in the way of releases so I'm assuming there's a right way and a wrong way to get these off. If you could elaborate or point to a link somewhere I'd sure appreciate it.

In any case here's some of the pictures for anyone else trying out the install themselves..

The wires showing after LCD removal and which ones to use. (The sliver of wire shown inserted into the front of the plug was used to ohm out to the connection behind the radio to make sure which white wire was correct.)

Where my power relay ends up hiding.

The factory XM Tuner behind the glove box which I removed and put the new tuner in it's place.

And the install almost done look minus the trim.

Thanks again Shawn...

Gary
Old November 23rd, 2008, 6:23 PM
Banned

You can accually see one of the clips in the first pic you posted....right where that black hump comes down there is a clip there.....bout the same spot in all four corners

here's a pic....

It looks good BTW...well done
Old November 23rd, 2008, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

I see what you're talking about to remove the entire LCD and IR unit. I wasn't clear. I was wondering how you removed the panels on the lift gate where the license plate was. I presume from what you just posted though that once I get the boot off I'll be able to run the camera wire up that way before going down to the doors or am I missing it?

Thanks again for all the help... I just put my microphone where the Onstar microphone was. It is just lying there but my wife says it works fine. It's easy to take out so I'll test for a few days.

Regards... Gary
Old November 25th, 2008, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

Got the adapter from the GM antenna connection to the Kenwood XM tuner from a guy by the name of Brian Webb who frequents the Crutchfield forums.

Thanks to him also for answering all my questions...

Gary..
Old November 26th, 2008, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Gary,

I have a 08 Tahoe wit the RSE and want to upgrade to a Nav unit. I was wondering why you decided to go with the Kenwood unit instead of the factory one.
I been looking for GM units until I noticed your post and started to think if I should go with a nav unit like the one you have.
Is the Kenwood nav better than the factory one?
I'll appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Thanks.
Old November 26th, 2008, 6:32 PM
CF Active Member

JC,

This is just my opinion. I think the Garmin Nuvi 660 and up are the best units out there. Me and a buddy who owns another HVAC company researched the GPS units out there as we visit new addresses every single day and this one was the best as far as we were concerned. I believe Navtech supplies the mapping data asit is very similiar to the version in my Motorola Q9c cell phone.Getting back to the question though, the Garmin system is inside the Kenwood unit which converts that Garmin to being an indash unit. Very desirable. Plus you can have Bluetooth, satellite radio and all the rest.

I can't see anything I've lost and I drove the a 2007 Tahoe with the factory Nav when I was shopping. I immediately started comparing and didn't think it matched up. Maybe I was already used to the Garmin but if I was in your shoes I'd go visit the Garmin Nuvi and see what you think. Not much difference in theNuvi versus the built in modelother then the menus are just a bit different. Most everything is actually the same. Bigger screen on the Kenwood version.

Other differences are the Garmin has flash memory and the factory unit uses a DVD disk I believe. Garmin can be updated with a SD card on this unit. You retain the factory amp but get the aftermarket Kenwood. I'm pretty tickled with the looks. Go online as there are some U-Tube videos showing the use of the Kenwood. If I can be of any help just let me know. Send a message if I don't notice your post.

Thanks... Gary
Old November 26th, 2008, 6:59 PM
Banned

I don't know what the wiring for your camera is like, but I always start by mounting the camera and work my way forward.
Here's a few pics to show how the rear hatch comes apart

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?