Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Has spark and fuel will not start

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2013, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has spark and fuel will not start

Hello All,
My 1995 C1500 5.7 Suburban (220K miles) was running fine with new plugs, distributor cap and rotor, but it was occasionally throwing out a code 35 at stop lights. I also cleaned the TBI. I wanted to set the timing because it was a little off as shown by the timing light. I had to work to get the distributor bolt loose and loosened it too much and I accidentally rotated the distributor about a quarter turn.
I put the distributor back where I thought it was (I had the cap numbered and 6 was facing front.) the truck was not running at the time and I have not been able to start it since. It turns over and has spark, I see fuel injecting (strong gas odor too and also a little seepage around the gasket on the bottom) and it has compression. I don't see the butterfly opening too much at all and wonder if that is why the cylinders aren't igniting.
The only fuse that doesn't show power but is not blown is the TRAN.
This vehicle has an old Clifford Intellivoice alarm system that we don't use and I am going to remove it to see if that may be the problem.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old July 26th, 2013, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem solved. I took the distributor cap off to reach the oil pressure switch out and found the rotor turned 90 degrees from where it should have been. the engine could hardly wait to start up. How did the rotor get turned? Weird. Timing set; now runs great.
The following users liked this post:
Bshawn911 (December 21st, 2022)