Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hazzard switch and brake controler issue

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2015, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazzard switch and brake controler issue

Hi,
I have a break controller for a trailer. The controller turn on when the brake pedal is pushed actually when the lights go on.

What I also found is that the brake controller turns on when the hazard light is on but not when the signal are turned on.

The controller takes his go signal from a wire that should only be affected by the brake pedal but not he hazard switch ( just like the cruise control switch)
We think the hazard switch has an issue and some of the signal goes back in the brake light circuit.

Please advise.
Old October 11th, 2015, 6:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joboujp
...We think the hazard switch has an issue and some of the signal goes back in the brake light circuit.
Nope, It's working as designed. The older cars use the same bulb for the brake and the turn signals. The hazard circuit powers the same circuit as the brakes. Maybe this will help... https://www.etrailer.com/question-38132.html
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Nope, It's working as designed. The older cars use the same bulb for the brake and the turn signals. The hazard circuit powers the same circuit as the brakes. Maybe this will help... https://www.etrailer.com/question-38132.html
Yes but only the hazard and not the signals make the controller brake. And that is the same light also.
Old October 11th, 2015, 4:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The brake switch is isolated from the circuit when the turn signal is used, but not when the hazard is activated. When the hazard is turned on the blinking power does back-feed to the brake switch (and controller). When the turn signal is turned on the blinking power does NOT back-feed to the brake switch.
Old February 26th, 2018, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having a weird issue with my break lights.
When I press the break peddle the hazard lights come on. The turn signal does not work but if I press the break peddle the signal starts working and as soon as I turn the signal off, the hazards come back on.
Could this be a problem with the controller arm, breaks, or hazards?
Old February 26th, 2018, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Sounds like an open ground somewhere allowing back-feeding.
Old February 27th, 2018, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Sounds like an open ground somewhere allowing back-feeding.
I'm not sure what you mean by open ground, does that mean a ground wire came lose?
I replaced the knox sensors on my 2001 Chevy suburban so I had to remove the injectors, and intake manifold. I also disconnected the alternator and battery.
When I put everything together and connected the battery I noticed that I got a little more than normal spark when I connected the negative cable on the battery, so pulled away and reconnected. I did not get a spark the second time.
I test drove and noticed the the hazard lights come on when I braked. I checked the fuses & relays, they seemed to be good.

Thanks
Old February 27th, 2018, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

An open ground can be caused by anything from a corroded ground point to cut wire to a bad connector. Since it sounds like significant work was done on this vehicle, it could be a bad connector or a broken wire.