Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

headlights come on, dash lights go out

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2013, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the dimmer switch and that fixed the problem. You can find it at RockAuto Auto Parts for about $60.00
2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE 5.3L V8 : Electrical-Switch & Relay : Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jeffmfld
I replaced the dimmer switch and that fixed the problem. You can find it at RockAuto Auto Parts for about $60.00
2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE 5.3L V8 : Electrical-Switch & Relay : Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch
Great. I have a feeling it has to do with the Headlight Switch. What is the difference between the "Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch" and the "Headlamp Switch". They look like the same part to me....??? Do you have to remove the dash to change this part out?
- Rebecca
Old January 10th, 2013, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

I am not sure if there is a difference between the two, they do look the same.
you don't have to take the dash apart to replace the switch. There is a trim piece that goes around the dash and radio and back up over the steering column. Tilt your steering wheel all the way down and the trim will be able to be pulled out. There are no fasteners holding the switch in, just two little nubs top and bottom. the whole replacement took about 5-10 min.

Last edited by jeffmfld; January 10th, 2013 at 5:36 AM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have the same ****en problem with my 01 tahoe am ****en tired of trying all kinds of **** and nothing works! But my boy is gonna get it checked out next week hes an automotive technician if I find the problem ill let u guys know.
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:38 PM
New User

thanks guys, ill try out the dimmer switch tomorrow.
i have the same problem wit my 2001 tahoe, just started happening last few days.
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM
New User

Originally Posted by jeffmfld
Are the headlight switch and dimmer switch in different places?
Old May 6th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dimmer Switch Replacement Worked!!

I fixed it!!

I went to the Advance Auto Parts and bought a new headlight switch or dimmer switch for my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500. It was $65.99 plus tax.

I came home, pulled the dash face off with just my finger tips (very easy to do). I had to lower the steering wheel and put the emergency brake on, put the key in to put the gear shift into 1st gear. The dash assembly popped right off. and I put the truck back into Park.

I used a flat head screwdriver on the top and bottom of the old switch to pop it loose (very easy to do) and saw it was attached with a wiring harness that popped off too.

Then I plugged the new switch in and started the truck. Presto!! The dash lights came on!!

I put the truck into 1st gear again and the dash went on as easy as it came off. Raised the steering wheel, took off the brake and drove around the block with everything working.

It took 5 minutes and was simple to do.

Thanks for the great posts.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails headlights come on, dash lights go out-img_8751.jpg  

Last edited by ValricoBob; May 6th, 2014 at 4:36 PM. Reason: I added a photo of the switch and the box it came in.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Same thing with my 2000 Tahoe. I am going to try this tomorrow.

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, Dash Lights Do Not Work - Sparky's Answers
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Our 02 Tahoe was having the same symptoms described above. tried disconnecting batt. did not work. I did notice that when I toggle the dimmer wheel just right I could get the panel lights to come on and not the dome light. I called local auto parts stored and they wanted $175 -$250 for the part. dealer wanted $110 but did not have it in stock. Ordered 1 on Amazon Prime for $51 shipped. will be here in 2 days. Hope it works. On a side note the dimmer switch always felt weird from day 1. It would rotate rough and would never dim lights gradually.
Old January 31st, 2018, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Driver side mirror & interior rearview mirror dimming during daylight hours.

Hi. I experienced the same problem. I originally thought ValricoBob hit it right on buying and replacing the headlight/dimmer switch. Told the hubby about it, and he did some research and found a thread that placards hanging from the review mirror can also cover the sensor causing the dimming. It just happened to be that I have a placard hanging from my rearview mirror - and have had since last summer - however, New Years Eve my hat had a black feather in it, and I stuffed it up and under the placard (I know silly, but, hey I liked it) so It could hang freely.

Well, hubby went out, removed the feather and whaloah! The dimming problem has gone away, Check the sensors aren't covered in some way also. Greatful this was my fix, vs. $70 part.

Quick Reply: headlights come on, dash lights go out