Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Heated/cooled cupholders

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 4:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated/cooled cupholders

Anyone attempt to swap in the heated and cooled cupholder option from a Platinum edition Escalade? I'm looking at the differences between the consoles and it appears that all the hardware is in the cupholder/trim that should swap. The only unknown is how and where it plugs in. I find the assembly at GM parts direct for about $376.00.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:27 PM
CF Active Member

Whats the part number?
Old October 21st, 2009, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

I've got the dealer looking into the parts and part numbers. If it looks like it can be made to work, I'll post up the numbers and costs. The GM parts direct site did not give me part numbers, only exploded views of the console area that has the cup holders. Right now, I'm working on the Escalade roof rack and tail lights, but that stuff has already been posted.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 1:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Keep us posted. Sounds like a nice mod.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Active Member

HOLY SH**! What I was looking at was NOT the actual heated/cooled cupholder assembly. That part is available (didn't get the P.N. yet), but I stopped after hearing $650.00+ for just the parts. The SM also said he would talk to the GM (I know him well, bought many things there), and possibly go me cost on it, but even with that and a "good guy" price on labor to make it work puts this mod at an installed cost of over a thousand. I passed, but if anyone is interested, I'll get the part number(s) and post them. Be advised, this is NOT a "bolt in", there will be modifications to your factory console/cupholder, but my local dealer was confident they could get it together and essentially make it "factory".
Old October 23rd, 2009, 9:29 AM
CF Active Member

I believe 2009 was the first year of the option on Escalades, and only if they are the "Platinum Edition", so my guess is that finding it in a junk yard is not going to happen. I'll see about the actual part numbers today.
Old October 18th, 2012, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default cup holders

reviving this old thread

did anyone get to do this? did you get the part numbers? it would be a cool mod
Old October 24th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Heated and Cooled Cup Holders

Ok, so i just stumbled across this posting and registered as a user, just to reply. I am a GM service tech at a Chevrolet/Cadillac dealership on Long Island. A customer came in with a 2009 Platinum Escalade today, the ashtray lid on the center console wouldnt stay closed because of a missing spring and missing piece of small plastic latch. I went into the parts department to price the part for the customer. Turns out the ashtray compartment, other compartment and cupholders are all one piece, not servicable or sold separately... To the tune of $826. All for a small piece of broken plastic in a latch, nothing wrong with anything else. To everyones surprise, the customer said to fix it, and to my delight, i am now the proud owner of a set of heated and cooled cup holders. The entire unit is self contained and the wiring is EXTREMELY simple. There is a 5 pin connector. A 12v+ constant, a 12v+ Ignition, a Ground, a 12v+ to illuminate the red and blue buttons that correspond to the mode that is selected, and finally a 12v+ illumination circuit, which lights up the buttons at night with the interior illumination. basically 3 12v+'s a Ground and a switchable 12v+ that comes on with the headlight/parking lights. I bench tested it at lunch today. I set it up with a amp meter in line to make sure I set up a sufficient circuit to power them The cooling mode, pulls more current than the heating circuit, about 3.25 amps as compared to 2.15 amps, per cup holder. So worst case scenario, 6.5-7 amps, so I'll be using a 10 amp circuit. On the bench, after about 10 minutes, the cold side reached a low of 35*F and the hot a max of 133*F. I did notice that on the under side of the unit, the cooling fans that blow air onto the heat sinks, had a thin foam seal around them. I then went back to the vehicle and noticed that with that cupholder option, there is an extra air duct that runs under the cup holders and allows A/C air to be pulled in by the fans for optimal cooling of the unit, although even without that, the 35* on the bench seemed more than sufficient IMO. The only real challenge now for me is the install, because I'll be putting them into my 2006 Acura TL. Just by eyeing it up this afternoon, it seems like its going to be a perfect size opening. i will have to make a new custom top trim bezel from ABS Plastic, which should be fairly easy. Wiring will be a piece of cake though. The only dimension I'm unsure of is the depth. the unit is quite deep, because of the heat sinks and fans on the bottom. We will see, hopefully I'll be able to play around with it on my lunch breaks withing the next week.
Attached Thumbnails Heated/cooled cupholders-img_1743.jpg   Heated/cooled cupholders-img_1744.jpg   Heated/cooled cupholders-img_1745.jpg   Heated/cooled cupholders-schematic.jpg  

Last edited by frgarcia; October 24th, 2012 at 6:54 PM.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

What is the purple wire for? I have the contant 12v, ground, ign 12v, illuminatino, but the 5th wire (purple), is that also an ign 12v? Why a separate wire for that?
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Its standard in my 1998 suburban!

Looks a little different, but put your drink in the dash mounted flip out holder. on hot days it sits right in the airflow from the AC vents - so it keeps the drink cold, on cold days, you are running the heater, so it heats up the drink!

Poor mans version, but I can pretend - and it cost $0!