Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Heater Hose Connector

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2021, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Hose Connector

I have a 2001 Suburban that developed a leak where the heater hose connector connects to the heater core (It is a Suburban with rear heat so they are the "T" shaped connectors. I first replaced it with a Dorman 800-413CD but it also leaked at the heater core connection. I read in a couple of places that the Dorman parts have quality issues, so I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought the GM part. It also leaks at the same place. It seems like a pretty straightforward repair is there a trick I am missing? Thanks in advance.
Old March 28th, 2021, 9:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by revjim1959
I have a 2001 Suburban that developed a leak where the heater hose connector connects to the heater core (It is a Suburban with rear heat so they are the "T" shaped connectors. I first replaced it with a Dorman 800-413CD but it also leaked at the heater core connection. I read in a couple of places that the Dorman parts have quality issues, so I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought the GM part. It also leaks at the same place. It seems like a pretty straightforward repair is there a trick I am missing? Thanks in advance.
Its possible the hose itself is defective or worn out.
Old March 28th, 2021, 9:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

I have a 2005 Yukon. My quick-connect fitting on the heater core inlet (driver side) broke and I used Dorman/O'Reilly 800-403 and it's been fine a few years.

A few years before that my mechanic replaced the T-connector for the heater hose on the engine; he first used GM part but that leaked so he swapped in a Dorman part for that too.

I know other manufacturers also use these ridiculous connectors, but NOT a better idea; I'd prefer old fashioned hose clamps myself.
Old March 28th, 2021, 12:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Is the connector leaking at it's quick disconnect or is it leaking where connector goes onto the metal pipe. If to the pipe there can't be any burrs or nicks at the sealing spot on the pipe or where the connector slides over the end of the pipe. A little silicone grease on the pipe to lube the rubber O ring inside the connector when it's put on may be needed so the internal O ring doesn't get damaged when putting on a new one.
Old March 28th, 2021, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Its possible the hose itself is defective or worn out.
It is leaking where the plastic connector attaches to the heater core, so no hose at the leak.
Old November 6th, 2021, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by revjim1959
It is leaking where the plastic connector attaches to the heater core, so no hose at the leak.
my 2003 denali is in my driveway broke down. My husband has tried 3 different brands of quick connectors and every one leaks at the connector. HELP
Old November 7th, 2021, 8:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AnitaPat
my 2003 denali is in my driveway broke down. My husband has tried 3 different brands of quick connectors and every one leaks at the connector. HELP
I just had to change those connectors in my '11 Tahoe. the aftermarket ones are all junk. I bit the bullet and got GM ones from the dealer, no problems with them. For me trying to save a few bucks with aftermarket instead of factory connectors was not worth the aggravation.
Any nicks or damage to the aluminum tubes will affect sealing so one has to be super careful taking it apart in the first place as it's a tight spot to access.