Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP 2003 TAHOE - Navigation

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 2003 TAHOE - Navigation

Hello everyone, I have a very unique Navigation problem.
I own a 2003 Tahoe LT. with Bose/XM 6 CD stereo. NO Onstar, but 3 buttons on upper console near the rear & 3rd row heat controls. everything runs and works like new in this truck.

anyways, last Christmas - 2009, i received a garmin nav. system that worked every where except my truck!!. I returned that, several other garmin, tom-toms, and magellans. they just wont work in my truck only, or within a 50 foot radius of it when the ignition is on.

it cant be any of the traditional problems of tinted windows or stuff like that. it WILL work in my truck, until i turn on the ignition. instantly kills the nav reception. i have paid good money to have my electrical system looked at twice now. dealers and a few local shops cannot find the answers.

This is very frustrating as we use this truck for roadtrips, and that was the main reason of the nav. in the first place.

anybody else ever hear of this that can help me???

Thank you,
Curly60
Old December 18th, 2010, 1:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you contacted the GPS mfg to see if they have any answers?
Old December 18th, 2010, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

73 shark, thank you for replying

Yes, all options have been exhausted.

i have contacted chevrolet... no help
XM radio.... no help
garmin... no help, useless customer service
tom tom... ditto
magellan. ditto again.
best buy...my cat is smarter than their tech people
OnStar... same thing... even though i do not have OnStar

no one has been able to help me.
Old December 18th, 2010, 6:42 PM
CF Active Member

How are you hooked up to power with your gps?
Old December 18th, 2010, 7:13 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

What happens if you have the GPS operating outside the truck and then take inside w/ the truck turned on?
Old December 20th, 2010, 4:31 AM
CF Beginner

jim & shark.... it is plugged in thru the cigarette thing. it will work in the truck only if the truck is not turned on.

it will NOT work out side the truck within a 50 foot radius if truck ignition is on or engine running.

the gps, any of them have full satellite reception inside or outside until i turn the ignition on. then immediately loses sat. reception. i cannot get within 50 feet of the truck if ignition is on.

thank you again for any help and replies

curly
Old December 20th, 2010, 8:21 AM
CF Active Member

Question

I have never heard of anything like this before. Does your radio work ok? Maybe part of the Roswell crash in 1947 was incorperated in your vehicle and your ignition controls the cloaking device.
Old December 20th, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

hey jim, yes the radio works great, so does the xm, which is factory and incorperated into the bose system. everything works except the nav. i bought this truck in 04 with less than 10,000 miles. it now has 112,000 and still runs like new, exterior and interior is still in showroom condition.

i am starting to believe your roswell theory. as no profesional has heard of this, let alone been able to help me... it gets very strange too.

my magellan worked for a complete day, my driveway faces east, and with the sun out, it worked until the truck was shut off and restarted hours later after a trip to the n.h. mountains. i live in the boston area. it also worked during bad snow storm last winter, soon as the snow stopped, so did the satellite reception. so there is hope!!

I have also removed most fuses troubleshooting. My father in law is leaning towards the 3 buttons i mentioned earlier. They can open garage doors, activate my home alarm...ect. i think its called home link network.

dont know if this helps anyone, help me. but it is very frustrating.

Thank you again,
curly
Old December 21st, 2010, 9:28 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you have a lot of stereo equipment? magnetic interference?
what about polarity of the 12v outlet?
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

hi in2pro (jeff?) no, just the stock bose / xm radio. no add ons what so ever. I had the electrical system completely checked twice at two different area chevy dealerships. both gave my truck a clean bill of health. a service tech is still researching and suggested this website.
i just cannot believe that this is isolated to my vehicle.

thank you very much for reading about my problem... i am willing to try anything, other than damaging my truck in any way. i love my truck, this is just extremely frustrating.

thanks again,

john a.k.a. curly

Quick Reply: HELP 2003 TAHOE - Navigation