Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help for 2005 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2018, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for 2005 Suburban

Hello guys still trying to figure it this. I have a 2005 Suburban 1500. The car stalls when you driving City or the highway sometimes it starts right up sometimes you have to wait a few minutes to start up. sitting on the driveway I'll start it or run for 5 minutes Stalls. starts right up runs for another few minutes then stalls. sometimes it won't start I have to wait an extra few more minutes before I can start again. These are the symptoms that Suburban is having the stalling issues.
This is what I have done to it so far, I have cleaned the mass airflow sensor twice. I have clean the throttle body once. I have replaced the PCM chip. Bought a new battery. Put a new fuel pump in. This year and model has the inline gas tank so there's no fuel pressure regulator or fuel filter. I've tested the crankshaft position sensor as well. I'm just stuck and tired of replacing parts that don't need to replace. Any information help. Things I have missed I should do I appreciate any feedback thank you. It's a 2005 1500 5.3 block.
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Check the fuel pressure as it stalls. Also check for vacuum leaks. You can use an induction pickup timing light to see if the engine is losing spark when it stalls.
Old September 18th, 2018, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Check the fuel pressure as it stalls. Also check for vacuum leaks. You can use an induction pickup timing light to see if the engine is losing spark when it stalls.
Thank You 73 Shark, I'll try those things and see if it may be the problem. But I recently put a new fuel pump in. It has the pressure now.. before I tested it it was reading only 30lbs. So I thought ok, needs a new fuel pump. But I guess problems come in 3's lol. So it's something else
Old September 18th, 2018, 5:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth a try, while it's running,give the wire harness on motor a wiggle, common bad spot is behind power steering pump,but try every where
Old September 18th, 2018, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, you think it may be my ignition switch?
Old September 18th, 2018, 7:10 PM
CF Senior Member

As mentioned above, check for spark after stall,spare plug or timing light,other ,is pump running?after stall, cycle key to on,pump running? switch, maybe,less likely
Old September 18th, 2018, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
As mentioned above, check for spark after stall,spare plug or timing light,other ,is pump running?after stall, cycle key to on,pump running? switch, maybe,less likely
Yes pump is running after stall
Old September 18th, 2018, 7:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Another test,listen for clicking from injectors,screwdriver to ear and other end on injector,cheap stethoscope
Old September 21st, 2018, 1:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When it stalls immediately check for spark. If you can rule out the ignition then fuel pump/ignition is the next place to look. I think the ignition might be a good suspect. Runs 5 minutes, something gets warm, stops working till it cools down. Maybe something like a cam or crank sensor?