Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELP

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

Ok.......I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. I was pulling my jet ski out of the water on a boat ramp at about 2am. I backed down, applied thee brake, put it in park and pulled the ski onto the trailer. I then hooked it up and went to put the Tahoe in drive. It wouldnt budge. My e brake is not too good by the way. I had my two friends that were with me push the tahoe forward to release pressure but there was no pushing the huge Tahoe up a steep boat ramp, not even a centimeter. There was nobody to help pull me a lil bit either. I had to put a lil strength into getting it into drive( by a lil force). I did so and pulled out fine. However, when I tried to put the Tahoe into 1 2 or 3 it was a bit hard. When I got home I cleaned the ski and went to start the Tahoe again and the key wouldnt go past the acc position to start. Luckily I have an aftermarket remote start and started it that way but no I cant start it normally with the ignition. What did I do? Expensive fix? Will it hurt to leave it like it is? Help please!!!!

Thanks

Silver_e98
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP

It sounds as though either the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control has malfunctioned or the Shift Cable is bound up or damaged.

Old August 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: HELP

Welcome to the forum. I learned the hard way with Chrysler minivans that you always set the parking brake (especially on an incline) before putting it in Park. Not sure if Tahoes are the same way but what happened for me was that the cable could not overcome the force on the Park pawl and instead slipped the housing on the cable which allowed the shift lever to move but tranny stayed in Park. [] Once I rocked the van enuf to get it out of Park, the indicator was no longer aligned correctly. Had to readjust the housing on the cable to re-index the indicator and all was well.

If this is what happened to you, then get that parking brake adjusted.