Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help! AC stopped working in 2004 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! AC stopped working in 2004 Suburban

I have a 2004 chevy suburban. Recently the AC would just automatically start blowing hot air out of both driver, passenger and rear vents. The fix was to turn off the ignition and crank up the suburban again. All vents would then blow cold air again. Then this past Friday, had an oil change and had the AC system checked for freon pressures, etc. The mechanic said he found no problems and AC worked well for him. I then drove the suburban home, 5 miles, and parked it overnight. The next day, cranked up the suburban to run an errand and the AC was not blowing cold air out of any vents. I noticed the air is not cold, not hot, but is warm. I have pulled the AC fuse under the hood and in the dash on the driver side to check them and then reinstalled the fuses again, cranked up the suburban, waited a couple of minutes and then turned on the AC. Same result, no cold air, but the air is not hot. I noticed that it does not sound like the compressor is cutting on. Suggestions?
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Well if you suspect the compressor not cutting on, you need to check to see if it is engaged or not.
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

how do I check to to see if it is engaged or not? I was going of off the sound the vehicle makes when the compressor turns on? Thanks!
Old August 5th, 2012, 1:08 PM
CF Monarch

Watch it. If it is engaged look at the end, if it turns if not it isn't engaged.
Old August 5th, 2012, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

I see the belt turning but don't see the clutch spinning.
Old August 5th, 2012, 2:35 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by bigspur76
I see the belt turning but don't see the clutch spinning.
Well, something is not allowing the clutch to engage. Ok, it could be low freon, which I doubt, or low pressure cutoff switch. Can you see an electrical connector to the front (clutch) of the compressor? I don't know your mechanical level, but with the engine running, remove the connector, and reinsert it. It could be a loose connection. Go from there if no luck.
Old August 5th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help. I am going to try to reinsert the connection in the morning. If that is not it, is there any way this could be an accutuator problem? It is odd that the air coming out of the vents is not hot like heat but it is also not cold. It is almost the same temp as outside air or maybe a little cooler. Maybe the mechanic that checked the pressures, etc left something loose or allowed some of the freon to escape and the level is just low. Hope to get to the bottom of this tomorrow.
Old August 6th, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Monarch

Yes. It also could be freon, whith an 04 I doubt. The thing is, you need to determine if the compressor is engaged all the time you have ac selected.