Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

help picking out a Suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help picking out a Suburban

We have been thinking about getting a large SUV for a while now and with another kid on the way we think we will be going with a Suburban. Excursion's MPG is just much for us. Any case we have a budget up to $20k. I think getting a 03 LT 4x4 model with about 50k miles should not be a problem. A friend of a friend told me to get at least a 03 said the ride is much better than the 02? No idea if that is true or not.

From reading the forum, at least i know i shouldn't get one with the lift gate. I hate to pay $1000 just to fix the hinger. But is it that kind of posts that will help me pick out the right suburan. But i have some other questions I hope other members can help me out.

does the suburban 5.3L engine use a timing belt or chain?
If it is a belt how many miles before it should be changed?
On some models it says the Suburban listed as 'Autoride' what is it?
any major changes between a 04 vs 03? I could get a 04 with higher miles and still be in my budget.
thank you.

Old February 8th, 2007, 2:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help picking out a Suburban

Autoride is a rear air suspension. Helps smooth the ride out and automatically levels rear when towing.
Old February 13th, 2007, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 Suburban that I bought new. It is the LS and is a 4wd and we love it. I have the lift gate and I live in NM so I don't know if its the lack of moisture and no rust but I have not had any issues. I recently put 20's on it and man its killer looking. We have 2 boys that are younger and its very versatile. We have the 5.3L and I also have a 3" Flowmaster. I love my Suburban and have thought of getting a 2007 but I am going to pay mine off in a few monthsand that is worth more than another 40k. Good luck.
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: randall231
I love my Suburban and have thought of getting a 2007 but I am going to pay mine off in a few monthsand that is worth more than another 40k. Good luck.
Smart thinking. I think the 03 body style still looks great and with 20's looks even better.
Old March 19th, 2007, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

oh man I just went to test drive a new 07 and what a difference in the way it drives. Now I am thinking of picking up the GMC Denali just because the wife like the heated 2nd row seats.
Old March 19th, 2007, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

anyone know if these SUV use timing belt or chain?
Old November 13th, 2007, 7:19 PM
CF Junior Member

My bride has a 02 burb. LT package best car we ever owned Chevy has perfected that SUV..That and GMC yukon are the best on the market by far!!!
Old November 13th, 2007, 7:23 PM
CF Junior Member

My bride has a 02 burb best car ever MFG. GM has perfected ths suv Keep up the great work GM..Real men wear BOW TIES!!!
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

i've been following suburbans my whole life.... 92-99 the only way to go.... those were the years chevy cared about what they made, and made quality products. im 200,000 miles strong in my 97 suburban can't say that to a new one in 10 years
Old January 8th, 2008, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I have to agree with treyb0, I have a 96LS K2500 454withlocking rear differential. I use it as a truck, not a SUV. Lot's of room, power, and a smooth ride on pavement (heaven forbid!) SUV is a term used by big car companies to try to sell "safer, larger 4x4 vehicles" and they have doubled in price because of it. If you don't need 4x4, don't buy one. I have worked in suburbans for years, they don't like driving to the spa. They're work horses, easy to fix and parts are farely inexpensive. Don't spend money you don't have to on new plastic SUV's

Quick Reply: help picking out a Suburban