Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

help picking out a Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2008, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help picking out a Suburban

I just bought an '01 K2500 with the 8.1L for pulling a travel trailer. We have the lift gate. The vehicle has just over 90K miles on it, and the lift gate doesn't show any issues. The reason I preferred it to the double doors is the lack of a pillar right in the middle of my view out the rear view mirror (although with a travel trailer back there, that becomes somewhat moot...)

Not sure about the ride on the newer models. Mine has the Autoride. It's stiffer than the ride on my '03 Expedition Eddie Bauer, the it's also a 3/4 ton chassis, so I can't complain. The ride isn't so stiff that it's a problem; in fact we opted for the Suburan over an Excursion specifically BECAUSE the ride was so much nicer.

Anyway, I ramble, but I hope this also is helpful.
Old January 30th, 2008, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought an 03 burban 2500 with 8.1L. Man its awesome. For your questions. Auto ride suspension is electronically controlled front dampening shocks and air ride shocks in the back for leveling and loads. IT floats on the highway and stiffness up around town. Highly recommend it if you can get one with it. I spent less than 20K on mine with 52K on it, there out there right now cheap GAS PRICES!!.

Go with the 03 and newer, updated climate control, new trip computer with steering wheel controls on some, adjustable pedals on some, better radio with upgradeable to digitalonstar if you want to use it, overall nicely upgraded from the 00-02. I like the lift gate better as stated the center pillar is an issue for me too.

Good luck, that’s my 2 cents
Old March 18th, 2008, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: hids2000

oh man I just went to test drive a new 07 and what a difference in the way it drives. Now I am thinking of picking up the GMC Denali just because the wife like the heated 2nd row seats.
My '07 Suburban has the heated 2nd row leather bucket seats with the auto fold-down. My wife and I like the way the chevy front looks better than the GMC with the HUGE bug-eye headlights. The main difference is the Denali comes with the 6.0L (6.2L in the '08) vs. my 5.3L. Although now you can get the 6.2 in the Chevy with the LTZ package. Definately get a Suburban/Yukon XL vs. a Tahoe...I've had both and the amount of room in the Tahoe without the 3rd row of seats is basically the same as my Suburban with the 3rd row installed.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: hids2000

oh man I just went to test drive a new 07 and what a difference in the way it drives. Now I am thinking of picking up the GMC Denali just because the wife like the heated 2nd row seats.
I have an '07 suburban with 60/40 split bench and the 2 outside seats are heated.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

I had the doors in my 99Tahoe. They were heavy and not very handy. If you don't want all of the bells & whistles you may be able to get something newer than an '03 if you shop around. We have 3 kids in carseatsand it sure beats the mini van we had. It gets around so much better in the winter and I feel safer in it.
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

You want the liftgate. Never had any problems with them. Best thing about liftgate, is
center vision is open, and if it is raining you can stand under liftgate and not get wet.

Our 07 has 60/40 second row bench, and seats are heated also.