Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help selecting diagnostic tool 2013 ltz

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help selecting diagnostic tool 2013 ltz

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for some knowledge. I own a 2013 ltz suburban with 37000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago it started displaying service suspension system on the dash display. What type of scan tool is required to read the body and chassis codes for this model in order to diagnose and repair the problem without replacing random parts?
I have two full time mechanics on staff and the local Chevy dealer is completely useless. Wasted an entire day there on Friday and they never had a chance to plug into it and see what was wrong even though I scheduled the appointment a week in advance. Needless to say I'm done with them for anything and will be handling repairs in house or at the local gmc dealer for warranty from now on.
I have about 10 vehicles in the fleet that could utilize this reader so not looking for crazy expensive daily use type machine. Something under $700 would be nice.
Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2014, 1:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure someone will come along with an answer to your question about a code reader.
Old August 24th, 2014, 6:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Idk what scan tool to use but a few things to check for would be the connections on the rear shocks there's one for air and one electrical connector, check the connectors on the compressor as well, does it run? Should run for about 6 seconds after a few seconds of starting the vehicle. Also check the height sensor connections. The rear sensors are on the dogbone looking top control arm. And lastly the height sensor connections on the front shocks. On the top of the shock
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I can't offer up any recommendations, but with a budget of $700 you might want to consider one of the software diagnostics that you load on to a lap top...
Old August 26th, 2014, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions. No the compressor is no longer running at startup. Message doesn't come on every time, but I have not noticed the compressor running in a while. Seems to maintain level though, even loaded and if anything sits slightly high in the back.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service Suspension System Message - widespread problem??

We've got a 2013 Suburban LTZ with approx 57,000 and we are also getting the service suspension system message. Since it is out of warranty, i took it to my independent mechanic. Per PI0430B: DTCs C0575, C0580, CO585 OR C0590: Magnaride electrical connection at the top end of shock absorber may not have been fully seated. They performed the recommended steps but still getting the service suspension system message. It looks like this may be a somewhat widespread issue with Buicks, Cadillacs, GMC and Chevy. Anyone have the same problem and if so any luck with having the problem corrected by the dealer? With 57,000 miles, I am out of warranty however, if it is a widespread issue, sometimes it is covered.

Last edited by mothertheresaz; November 3rd, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 4:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

mothertheresaz Welcome to the forum
Though you may be out of your 36k mile warranty it might still be a good idea to take into the dealership as the issue could be covered under your 5 year 100k drive train or covered as a known issue... if nothing else they will be able to use the latest diagnostics tools to look a bit deeper then many independent shops can...
Old November 4th, 2014, 9:28 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 year old

at one year old and 1,000 miles out of warranty, I'd have GM on the phone.

this isn't a failure at 40,000 or even 45,000.

Nor is this an inexpensive vehicle.

Most makers of expensive vehicles give a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty.
Old November 6th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
mothertheresaz Welcome to the forum
Though you may be out of your 36k mile warranty it might still be a good idea to take into the dealership as the issue could be covered under your 5 year 100k drive train or covered as a known issue... if nothing else they will be able to use the latest diagnostics tools to look a bit deeper then many independent shops can...
Thanks for the replies. I am taking it to the dealer and hoping it is considered a known issue as the bulletin that i have in hand implies. I had a similar experience several years ago with a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid -- inferior actuators installed at assembly were failing all across the board (this turned out to be a widespread known issue) and although my vehicle was out of warranty, I was liable only for a small "deductible" of about $200 to replace all four actuators which i believe would cost about $375 each to replace.
Old November 7th, 2014, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, thought I would give an update. Replaced compressor but light remained on. Basically ignored it until I got a plethora of other messages and the truck hung in second gear. Took it to my local gmc dealer who does good work and the second problem was caused by a corroded battery ground cable which required replacement. Suspension problem was on a shock sensor on the rear of truck. All is good now but it was over $700 bucks. its just not ever going to be cheap to drive a large suv on a daily basis, but economy is not why we drive them.

Quick Reply: Help selecting diagnostic tool 2013 ltz