Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nukstr
FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL"
DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...uestion-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

If I am reading this right, they are saying the ethanol fuel caused it to go in to limp mode? The question I would be asking at this point is why the failure occured while using 45% ethanol when the flex fuel engines are supposed to be able to handle E-85 which has another 40% than they detected in your fuel.
The following users liked this post:
Suec (March 26th, 2024)
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think part of the problem comes from the engine or ECM "thinking" the alcohol content is higher when its not or when the alcohol content is higher and it thinks its not... basically you need to be full E85 or regular gasoline... not a mix of a little of both...
Old December 21st, 2013, 9:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my TPS fixed last year. My problem was the occasional light for service stabilitrak and traction control. The problem started with it being progressively more difficult to get it out of park and not being able to use cruise control. Soon, i was stranded with it stuck in park. Went back to the car one more time before being towed and i got it out of gear and drove straight to pam chevrolet where they fixed it for little over 100.00 by replacing the TPS. one year later no lights and easy shift out of park
Old December 22nd, 2013, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny i had similar issue with traction indicator issue and the shift hard, at the same time however i also had rough idle, changed all eight spark plugs actually only needed to change every other one because of the 8/4 cylinder change. I now have a smooth idle and no more traction indicator or shifting issue's. Coincidence maybe. 2007 suburban ltz.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issues on my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. It has 158,000 miles on it. Was driving perfectly fine. I stopped, got out. Got back in, started and nothing. Would not engage D or 3. Had to drive it back home in 2. Now if I go anywhere, I have to manual shift it starting in 1 and working my way back to D. Once in D, it drives fine. If I come to a stop. I have to start all over again from 1. Also, if I try and give it too much gas in 1or 2, it make a horrible ( almost rubbing ) sound from the tranny or rear end. Also, I have NO check engine light on. Do you think its the A and B solenoids or something else?
Old January 16th, 2014, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

I am having similar [B]stabilitrak/traction control issues with my 2007 Tahoe. Took it to 2 different dealers (no diagnosis) but after the second visit I drove without the problem for 6 months and then out of the blue the lights came back, with extra issues: the hard shifting from 1 to 2nd gear; door locks engaging/disengaging; car starts only after the ignition key is in ON position and the transmission shifted out and back into PARK.

The dealer spent 2 hours on diagnostics and says the BODY CONTROL MODULE needs to be replaced.

To my mind, this seems to be an electrical/electronic problem. How would fuel mixture could cause stabilitrak or traction issues?
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEddiesblues
To my mind, this seems to be an electrical/electronic problem. How would fuel mixture could cause stabilitrak or traction issues?
I may be wrong but I believe the reason is whatever the root problem is that occurs, causes the ECM to put the engine in "limp mode" which in turn disengages the Stabilitrack System and traction control. For some reason all you get is a Check Engine dummy light along with all this. The only detailed description you get is the Stabilitrack Warning on the DIC which is a bit misleading because one is inclined to believe that is the problem when it likely is not. I think that is why some many differenmt problems seem to cause the Stabilitrack/Traction Control Warnings to appear.

I would like to think GM engineered a bit more advanced DIC messages for ECM faults in the 2014 models. There is absolutely no reason not to other than trying to push you to the dealer for a scan.
Old January 18th, 2014, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service stabilitrak issues

Thanks for the info. Sounds like all of this is programming stuff. Am not familiar with many abbreviations. What is DIC? Maybe GM does know what the issues are. I would doubt they don't. This visit alone is costing me over 850$CAN and the loss of my vehicle for 5 whole days. Definitely signing the blues at this moment.

Originally Posted by jason78
I may be wrong but I believe the reason is whatever the root problem is that occurs, causes the ECM to put the engine in "limp mode" which in turn disengages the Stabilitrack System and traction control. For some reason all you get is a Check Engine dummy light along with all this. The only detailed description you get is the Stabilitrack Warning on the DIC which is a bit misleading because one is inclined to believe that is the problem when it likely is not. I think that is why some many differenmt problems seem to cause the Stabilitrack/Traction Control Warnings to appear.

I would like to think GM engineered a bit more advanced DIC messages for ECM faults in the 2014 models. There is absolutely no reason not to other than trying to push you to the dealer for a scan.
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITS THE GASOLINE, HIGH TECH ENGINES WITH AUTOMATIC FUEL MANAGEMENT IS CAUSING THE AFM TO KICK YOUR ENGINE INTO USING 4CYLINDERS AND.BECAUSE THE GASOLINE WHERE YOU ARE FUELING UP AT ARE TAINTED WITH ETHANOL OR SOME ITERATION OF GAS CAUSING COMPUTER TO SHUT DOWN STABILITRAC & TRACTION CONTROL OFF & RUN OFF OF 4 CYLINDERS. FUEL UP AT GAS STATIONS THAT DON'T PUT ETHANOL OR ADDITIVES USE (http://pure-gas.org) AND ONLY FILL UP AT THOSE STATIONS AND GO INTO CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP SERVICE AND HAVE THEM REDOWNLOAD THE COMPUTER FIRMWARE AFTER YOU HAVE DRAINED OR SIPHONED GAS AND FILL UP ON NON ETHANOL GAS STATIONS AND HAVE THEM DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE FOR COMPUTER AND IT WILL STOP GIVING YOU THOSE SERVICE STABILITRAC & TRACTION CONTROL WARNINGS AND ONLY FILL UP AT GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL USING (http://pure-gas.org). nukstr:
FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL"
DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86
REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silv...uestion-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

This happened again using same gas station and fuel using only premium with gas that has no ethanol or additives BUT NOW I KNOW THIS IS WRONG. Went to Chevrolet Service and they have see up to 300 trucks and Suv's same problem with stabilitrac and traction control and check engine light with clunck in between disabling stabilitrac and traction control. HE SAID WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT BESIDES CLEARING THE CODES.

Last edited by nukstr; April 4th, 2014 at 2:21 AM.
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default flex fuel

My 07 sub is a flex fuel vehicle, funny that is a E85 , right, did the engineers missed something in design of the motor? mechanics recommend using gas that has no ethanol. maybe they are referring to motors that are not E85 designed. Since i purchased the suburban i have been or at least for the majority of the fill ups, using ethanol free gas . I will first check my spark plugs next time i have similar issues, because i have not had an issue since i changed them about 10,000 km ago, it will be a marker for my vehicle to monitor the residue on them or at least the 4 cylinders that don't fire all the time. I also keep oil on hand for every 1500 km when i need to top up a litre. I use to have an old '72 pickup that used about that amount as well, funny isnt it

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control