Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2013, 3:19 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You might also want to change where you are buying your gas, its possible where you are getting it now has a higher alcohol content and when you added the additive, it boosted the alcohol...

You might even want to consider have a scanner put on it to see what the alcohol content is reading... I have seen mine as high as 20% and as low as 5%...and I do use Techron additive from time to time...
Old November 2nd, 2013, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stabilitrak and traction control service

I recently hit a curb and bent my rim. I put a new tire and rim on but now "Service Stabilitrak" and "Service Traction Control" as well as "Check tire pressure" is continuously blinking on my dash. I haven't had any problems shifting but I only drove a couple miles because I didn't want to harm anything. What could this be?? I'm thinking that it could be my sensor? Help!!!
Old November 2nd, 2013, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum...

If the rim was replaced the TPM should have been transferred to the new rim, if this WAS done, it possible that a relearn is all that is needed, its also possible the blow was hard enough to have damaged the pressure monitor...

As for the stabili-trac I suspect the wheel speed sensor was damaged or was disconnected or the wire-harness to the sensor was damaged...

Did you do the tire/rim replacement or was it done by a shop?

Pull the wheel off, inspect the wheel speed sensor, wires, and connector...

Try relearning the tire pressures or have a tire shop try reading the sensor to see if its outputting a signal...
Old November 22nd, 2013, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Traction Control and Stabilitrak

I recently purchased an 08 Silverado. When I test drove it, the cruise control switch did not work. (I had previously driven an 02 Trailblazer. Occasionally, the cruise control would not work but if I killed the engine and restarted, it would work.) I tried this during the test drive, however, no luck. Well, I purchased the truck with the agreement they would fix the switch, but it was not until a week later that they put it in. I didn't have any issues with the TCS or Stabilitrak going off during that time. It's interesting that it didn't do that until they put the cruise control switch in. In the morning, when it's cooler, cruise control doesn't work because the TCS and ST go off, but in the afternoon on the way home it does.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Songburd,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. I would like to look into this further for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 28th, 2013, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default '09 4.8 Silverado 1500

Ok, after read so many threads on so many forums concerning the stabletrak off issue and reduced power mode. There seems to be no definitive answers to any of the issues. Here's a synopsis of my issues. First is check engine light coming on in the summer of '12. Issues were cold air coming out the passengers side and warm air out the drivers side when running the air conditioner. Condition sporadic and would at times reset itself if I shut it down and restarted the truck. Condition, stereo controls on steering wheel wigging out and the buttons operating different features on the stereo other than what they're supposed to do. i.e., volume up will scroll through the presets, mute will lower volume, volume down will raise volume, etc. Just all jumbled up. Sometimes works fine, other times all jumbled up. Took to dealer and was told it was one of 5 modules under the dash, worst case scenario was $450 to replace the hardest one to access.

Jump to Feb 2, 2013. While on road trip from Oklahoma to Florida to pick up a boat, approx temp 65 degrees, warnings, stabiltrak off, service stabiltrak, reduced engine power came up and left me sitting on the side of the Florida turnpike between Orlando and Cocoa Beach. The reduced engine power resulted in rpm of about 1k, rough acting transmission, and a warp drive speed on level ground of 14mph. This happened three times and after turning off the engine and restarting (30 minute breaks), I made it to my destination, picked up the boat, and drove back to Oklahoma with no further issues.

Yesterday morning, the same issue with the stabiltrak, off/service/reduced engine power. 19 degrees outside, let engine warm for 20 minutes, turned off and restarted several times until issue resolved. Drove to work and came
home with no issues. Yesterday evening issue returned and could not get it to run right. Same thing this morning. Thinking I might have water in the fuel that froze, I started gimping into town for some heat treatment and a tank of premium fuel. Town is about 12 miles and I was able to stop/start and get it going right a couple of times only to have it come up and bog me down a mile down the road. Made it to the station, heat in and $50 in premium, started it normal, 1/2 mile it did it again. Pulled into car wash and gave her a shower while I let it rest a bit. Left car wash with it running fine. Got about ten miles down the road on way to eat with Dad at VA home when it did it again gimping in the final 8 miles. After a good Thanksgiving meal and visit, I headed home and made the 35 mile trip with no issues.

With my personal experience on this issue, and reading so many others attempts as well as dealership service tech attempts with NO ABSOLUTE FIX, it's my contention (guess) that this is nothing more than some type of computer glitch and some of the other so called "fixes" that I've read on this issued are nothing more than the luck of turning off the engine and restarting the truck only to have the same thing happen on down the road.

GM Customer Service, I cannot afford to be without my truck, the warranty is out and don't want to take it in just to start being charged for replacing parts that are not bad. I need a one shot, one charge fix on this so I only lose one day of work.

With the bailout of GM and an obvious issue that GM doesn't seem to care about, if this fix exceeds 1k, it will be my last GM product ever!

I cannot believe this is anymore than a simple computer glitch in the system. Other than this problem, the air con system,and the stereo buttons wigging out, I've had no major mechanical problems at all.

Any prudent suggestions?

Last edited by clcarp; November 28th, 2013 at 9:47 PM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Clcarp welcome to the forum. I would suggest checking all electrical connections. Sounds like something intermittent. Check all wheel speed sensor connections. Battery and alternator condition and connections.
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Clcarp,

If you have your Silverado diagnosed at your Chevrolet dealership, they will only repair parts that show an issue. They will not repair or replace parts that do not show concern. Please let us know if you would like for us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 2nd, 2013, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default New info

I posted about my truck's traction control/stabilitrak and the cruise control. I noticed the other night that when I pulled away from the stop sign that my brake light was still on. I tapped the pedal and it went off. I started noticing more that this was happening. When my husband started my truck this morning, my brake light was on and when he pulled the pedal up, it went off. I was driving to work and noticed the brake light was on, I lifted up on the pedal and the brake light went off and my cruise control worked even though the TCS and Stabilitrak was off, as it had not worked previously. He talked to his buddy and he said to replace the brake switch and that it may be what's up with the TCS and Stabilitrak, too. We shall see if this fixes the problem. If it does, I will let you know. This might be a solution to someone else's problem, too.!
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Songburd Welcome to the forum, thanks for the very helpful info, and please DO follow up if it resolves the issue on not..

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control