Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2013, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2009 Suburban LT 1500 came up twice today with the Stabilitrak Off message along with the air bag warning light. They flashed on and then right back off with no service messages. I checked the Stabilitrak/traction control and the system was on. So I used my code scanner to check for any codes, and no codes came up. Has anyone had this happen where the system just hiccuped and went back to normal? I'm not sure if I should really worry about it or try and take it in and get the run around from what I've read in all the posts.
Old August 1st, 2013, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

The stabilitrac controls alot of thing. Could be as simple as a sensor or in my case I had the long crank to start which was the fuel pump bleeding the fuel back into the tank and it started throwing the stabilitrac code while driving.

I would say if you are having a air bag code as well. I would have someone put it on the tech2 scanner see if it comes up on there
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing

I have a 2007 Suburban and have the same situation. While driving highway speed, the DIC indicated SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and STABILITRAK. This remained solid following 30 minutes of the STABILITRAK indicator light lighting on and off intermittently. We have noted rough shifting between 2 and 4 gears for the last six months but the dealership has dismissed it for now. Clearly others on the forum are seeing the same thing. Just took the truck in now and there are no codes. They did a through visual inspect and nothing is out of place. It has us nervous about returning as we're planning to drive 1000 miles in the next week for vacation.

UPDATE: We have a faulty fuel pump. Just returned the truck to dealer to investigate unusual starting noise and effort. New pump coming. Sounds similiar to above post.

Last edited by Mark Andrew; August 1st, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old August 1st, 2013, 3:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mark Andrew,

I am sorry you are having this concern. If you would like us to work with your GM dealership please let us know. Private message me your name, VIN, mileage, address, and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 1st, 2013, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Well I thought everything was good with the Suburban since I drove almost 100 miles today without any problem whatsoever, until about an hour ago.

The same thing happened as my initial post on this thread from last night but this time when it did it, the vehicle shut off for 2-3 seconds and completely reset itself along with turning the vehicle back on.

Now I'm hoping that this is going to be covered on the warranty for the Suburban when I bring it to the dealer in the morning to see what's going on.
Old August 1st, 2013, 8:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

We hope everything goes well at the dealership cmanley23. If there's anything you would like for us to look into before your visit just let us know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 2nd, 2013, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmanley23
My 2009 Suburban LT 1500 came up twice today with the Stabilitrak Off message along with the air bag warning light. They flashed on and then right back off with no service messages. I checked the Stabilitrak/traction control and the system was on. So I used my code scanner to check for any codes, and no codes came up. Has anyone had this happen where the system just hiccuped and went back to normal? I'm not sure if I should really worry about it or try and take it in and get the run around from what I've read in all the posts.
There's a good chance it's the ABS sensor(s) in your wheel hub assembly getting ready to go out
Old August 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

My ABS and stabilitrak light would pop on in cold weather without reason. After some research I found that terminal resistor could be the problem. It's low resistance and since it sits in a channel support behind the spare tire water can settle there and facilitate the problem. I replaced it and no more issue. However there may be other issues causing the problem. Check the ABS wiring connectors at the top of the rear shocks. Also, the wiring may be compromised by the constant rubbing of the brake petal.
Old August 28th, 2013, 1:26 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

gjseamanjr Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the input
Old September 13th, 2013, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gilstone
Hi All!

I am happy to say the problem is fixed. I was using 85 Ethanol fuel that was causing the fuel sensor to malfunction which effected other modules sensors. Use up all your 85 Ethanol in your tank and replace with regualer gas and then drive for a few mins then turn off your truck for a few minutes. You should be fine after you restart your truck. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thank you!

Chris
I had this problem for a while until I replaced the terminating resistor (after much research) and no ST or ABS light for 2 months. The other day I put an additive to the fuel to help clean the system and lo and behold the lights came back on. I will need to run through the tank of gas and will refill with the regular stuff. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control