Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2014, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all kinds of problems....

my 2007 Yukon XL started missing. problem got worse and worse. went to O'reillys for code ck and it said misfire. they suggested we replace plugs and plug wires. DONE! missing stopped. however...everytime it would miss and try to stop running, traction control and stabilitrak lights came on. after changing plugs and plug wires that also stopped. first question, are those two related?
this lasted for approx. 2 months. just took a long vacation and car did wonderful. about 30 mins from home I unplugged the gps and when I pulled the charger out, the stabilitrak lights started flashing again and now the jerking into 2nd gear has started. we couldn't get the lights to go off or stabilitrak to come on by pushing the button. after the long drive we decided to just park it and deal with it today. went out to start it and now the car won't even start at all!!! second question, are these two related?
I am the 2nd owner of this vehicle and it has been driven by moms and has been very well taken care of. I've read the thread and have an idea of which direction to go to fix the stabilitrak, but now we can't even get it to run!!! please help!
thank you
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

gmcwoes Welcome to the forum...

When you say it won't run as it it won't start? crank? dead battery kinda won't start or cranks but won't run?

Its possible the 2 are related... but I have a sneaking suspicion that yours might the AFM failure....

I'd start by pulling the plugs and looking at them, I know you just replaced then but if you see oil on them that could be an issue...
A compression check would be the next time to perform....
Old June 30th, 2014, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

it was trying to turn over but just wouldn't start. not like dead battery. as we worked on it throughout the day, all kinds of crazy stuff started happening in the dash/control area. There was no cd in the player but it would try to play. Never done that before. all kinds of clicking noises going on behind the area of the stabilitrak button and the area of the plug in where gps was. Husband was thinking something electrical was going on. we contacted a local mechanic and he said to make sure all the fluids were topped off. if they were low it could keep it from starting. so we cked and oil was low so we topped it off and sure enough, the thing started. but it's still not right. it keeps turning over for a while before it finally starts. there's something else going on. and of course stabilitrak still hasn't engaged. thank you for the info. I will have hubby ck the plugs and do the compression ck.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

ok guys. MY 2009 Silverado is having transmission shift problems third and reverse is all i have sylinoids have be changed with no results. now the truck will not crank showing service stabil track and traction control. is this a computer error causing this problem
Old September 2nd, 2014, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Stabilitrak problems here as well…
Getting very tired of my 08 Silverado, I've been chevy my whole life and have 3 of them right now, this truck has been a money pit!
I'm sure if I take it to the stealer now, it's gonna cost me another pile of cash I could use to buy a different rig! I'm going to have to give serious consideration to my next vehicle purchase.

Okay, rant aside, I've seen some possible tips from other on how they fixed it, I'll try the fuel and tune up options first, my truck is a little over 130m miles so hopefully that's it…
Old September 2nd, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 LTZ Suburban. I put a lift and bigger tires on it at 2k miles. At 6k miles, all these lights came on. Brought it in and they blamed the lift installer for not extending the wiring harness. Fair enough and paid the $500. 4k miles later and the lights are back on. I wonder what they will blame it on now.
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 silverado stabilitrak and traction control problem

I am having a problem with my 2008 Silverado. When I travel a couple of miles I hear an alarm and get the messages of traction control problem and stabilitrak is off. It resets after I turn the engine off and then comes back after I driver another couple of miles. Also my transmission is shifting hard and idle speeds. Anyone with this problem and maybe a solution ?
Old September 8th, 2014, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default All 3 Issues plus Side Effects

2013 Silverado 1500

Stabilitrak / Traction Control / ABS will come on and off at will. Have had it serviced at the dealer where purchased w/ the following results. 4 separate occasions / incidents.
1. Reprogrammed module
2. Replaced module
2. Handed a generated report to not do race braking
3. Replaced brake sensor
Side effects - when all 3 lights activate when parked, transmission will not go out of park, when driving, cruise control will deactivate.

Unfortunately, the issue is still occurring, the interval seems to be ~ 4 weeks between incidents.

I have emailed and called GM and had a case started as the vehicle is still under warranty.

Next step is to take it to a different dealership to have it serviced and GM will potentially send a Field Engineer to the dealership as required.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive cause or fix to this issue, but stumbling on to this thread does tell me it's a known problem.

Update: After the normal suggested GM fixes, I was lucky enough to get a solid mechanic who was willing to do some troubleshooting. What he ended up doing was thoroughly going through the wiring and finding that the common wire going across the BCM and the ECM connections were "fretted". This meant taking apart the dash and cleaning, applying dielectric grease and reconnecting the leads. This seems to have solved my particular issue with the TC and Stabilitrak.

Thanks to all that have posted to this forum and good luck with solving your issues. Everyone's info helped with root cause analysis.

Last edited by DCI75; January 4th, 2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old September 9th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Did you change the brake switch? Fixed my problem. Also there's a low ohm terminating resistor under the spare tire. That has been known to be problematic. Good luck
Old September 10th, 2014, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default iI got the service stabilitrak

So about 6 months ago I got the message and took it in.They replaced a steering pos sensor. Yesterday while driving to work the same thing happened service stbiltrak light came back on, back to the dealer to find out they want 479.00 to replace the same part! What would cause this to go out again?It is a 2011 2500hd been a good truck but this just seems a little strange.
thx

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control