Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help? ZX? Need a power and ground source in the rear end somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Help? ZX? Need a power and ground source in the rear end somewhere!

Do you have a voltmeter or a radar detector to check the rear outlet with? I'm guessing that it would be hot all the time.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cell phone charger? Let me go check it real quick. BRB
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
CF Addict

Ok, it is like the front ac's. Plug the charger in and the charger light is on and ready to charge. So I guess it is constant? I guess that means it isnt a good source, or I shouldnt use it. COrrect?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I wouldn't think that you'd want the camera on 24/7. Just one more thing to rundown the already prone to run down battery.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
CF Addict

My thought exactly. WEll what else can be switched like the HVAC controls? But only in the rear of the vehicle? I guess that woudl be switched by the key turned on, not switched by a switch to operate the source such as tail lights, wiper motor, etc.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

I can't think of anything. Maybe ZX knows.
Old January 24th, 2008, 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for the camera to only be operating when you are in reverse why not just tap in to the backup light wiring for your power source?
Old January 24th, 2008, 7:58 AM
CF Addict

I had thought about this. I already run a pink wire from the kenwood camera to the power wire on the reverse tail light to turn the camera on when the vehicle is put into reverse.

Do you think I could use the same wire for the 12v power and then use the ground wire as well from the reverse light?

If anyone knows if this will be fine please let me know. I assume the color wire to the reverse light is power/positive and one of the blacks is the negative/ground. Can anyone confirm this?
Is there somewhere online that has a free wiring schematics for our vehicles. I could always find them for my dodges via a certain forum.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same question and checked with Kenwood directly. They told me no.

This is what I sent them:

Subject: Hookup
Body: I have purchased a Kenwood CCD-2000 camera and want to install in in a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. My question is regarding the ACC power lead - does that need to be connected to an accessory + or can it be connected to the reverse light (tied to the REVERSE wire)?? There are no easily acessable ACC feeds in the Tahoe. Thanks in advance for your help.

This is what they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.
It needs to be connected to a acc wire.

Landon -- sometimes, spending an extra 20-30 minutes today will save you from spending hours later. By hooking ht ecamera to the socket in the back, it will indeed be on 24/7 - that will drain the battery and probably kill the camera's circuitry prematurely.

I had seen a post here at some point (probably the GMGeek on) that mentioned using a 6 to 12vold adaptor to feed power from the radio to the Bosche interface under the seat and then you pick up the switched power in the liftgate. That would certainly work as a quick means to do it all. It would cost you about $15 or so...

Personally, I prefer to just take the time to do it right the first time - pop the panels and run the wires. Heck - the hardest parts are the tailgate panel (which you have to pop out anyway) and the radio trim. Getting the wires through the rubber boot is a 2-minute task (a little electrical tape, a coat hangar, and some petroleum jelly)...

These are just my thoughts and suggestions. I took a shortcut once on an old car (many years ago) and I ended up frying half of the electrical system because of it. Now, I do it all the right way.

Heck - if you really want to do it right, get yourself a relay and feed directly from the main circuit panel. But then you'll need to run a lot more wire and breach the firewall.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
CF Addict

Yeah I agree. I called JP about another question and also asked about using the light for power. They said no also. I will just use the HVAC again. That is what you used, right? You haven't had any issues have yoy?

Quick Reply: Help? ZX? Need a power and ground source in the rear end somewhere!