Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Here we go again. Stumble and losing water.

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 8:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here we go again. Stumble and losing water.

Well, took the burb for our first family vacation. I topped it off with water before we left, and after a 80 mile trip, I checked it again and had to add another 3/4 gallon to it. Every time I came to a stop, the engine spit and sputtered and almost died several times. I'm assuming that I have a leaking gasket either in the intake or the heads?

Could I be getting water into the combustion chambers? And that's what's bogging down the motor?

If I come to a light, and keep one foot on the brake, and the other on the gas to bring the RPM's up to around 800-900, then I'm usually ok. If not, I have people honking cause the burb doesn't want to go anywhere.

SES light came back on as well, but I haven't stopped anywhere to read the codes to find out what they are.

FRUSTRATING!! And I don't want to get us stranded somewhere either.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd get to autozone or advanced to get the code checked!!
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check oil for water, check exhaust for steam, condensation, then pull plugs to see if they're wet, fouled, messed up.
Old March 16th, 2010, 9:54 PM
CF Active Member

Going to do some more investigating now that we are home. Every time I started the truck while we were gone, we went through this. I did pull one plug the other day, and it looked wet, but I had just figured it was from turning the key on and off when I was working on the blinkers and stuff.

I assumed that the fuel pump had pumped gas into the motor?

I'll pull a plug and post some pictures.

Guess I need to do a fuel pressure check, a vacuum test, a radiator pressure test and what else?

How would a leaking gasket cause a lean bank 1 and 2? How would water into the combustion chamber cause a lean issue?
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

water leaking into cylinder raises hydrocarbon output. 02sensors interpret this as too rich.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Active Member

Well, last time I went through this, I got codes that said lean bank one and two. Maybe they are two separate issues?

Maybe the hesitation and stumbling is one issue, and the vanishing water is another.

I'm not running hot or anything like that. Just seems to be 1K rpms or below and usually from a stand still.

See about doing a pressure test tomorrow and see what codes are popping up this time.
Old March 17th, 2010, 8:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Crap, your in the same spot as me... the SES came onthis morning, I have the water slosh noise under the dash but no wet floor and my fuel pressure goes to 62 LBS and after 5 seconds drops to 0 lbs like a rock. I had a small "stumble" right before the SES came on. I am at work so I cant do any more tests till later.
Old March 17th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

The stumbling seems to be a problem with a lot of people for some reason. I thought it was cured after I cleaned the EGR valve. It was fine for a while, and now back to doing it. Someone else told me to Seafoam the motor and see if it helps.

I don't want to put a band aid on the issue, just want to locate it and fix it.
For me, I'm not a mechanic, and don't have most of the tools and proper equipment to do various test. I read and read and read, and then see what step to take next, then I have to read some more to figure out what tools or testing equipment I need to borrow.

I love to work on cars, but don't have the money for guessing games. Well, time for more detective work.....
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Understand, I am in the same boat..no money to just through at it. I sea foamed mine on sunday (gas side) and now I have the SES.. so not sure if that will help you. I need to find time to pull a plug but that wont be till this weekend. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 17th, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Active Member

Think I found the coolant leak. I removed the air box and noticed that there was a wet spot down by the wheel well. upon further investigation, I found that the gear clamps were loose. I tightened them back down, and let the motor get up to temp and everything dried up.

I'm still going to pressure test this afternoon when my friend gets home. He has the proper testing equipment.
Attached Thumbnails Here we go again.  Stumble and losing water.-dsc07926.jpg   Here we go again.  Stumble and losing water.-dsc07925.jpg  

Quick Reply: Here we go again. Stumble and losing water.