Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

High Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2014, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle Problem

I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 in it. Recently this engine took out the intake gasket so I took it apart and replaced it. While in there I replaced the Knock, TPS, and IIAC sensors/motor. While assembling I left the battery unhooked as to reset the system. I started it up and it has a high idle/idle decrease hesitation problem. It starts and idles at 1100 rpm and you hit the throttle and it races to 2000-2500 and then slowly declines to 1800 RPM. I though maybe I left something off and sprayed ether over the intake and any point I though may have a vacuum leak and couldn't find anything. At one point I was receiving a p0507 code which is excessive idle but then I erase the code and it will go away for a few start-ups but reappears. I started to unhook sensors to see if I could get a response. I unhooked the TPS, IAC, EGR, EVAP, MAP, and MAF sensors. The only ones that threw codes were the MAP and MAF sensors. I have driven the vehicle down the road to see if it just needed to complete a relearn mode and it doesn't help. Could it be a bad ECM seeing as how the other sensors didn't throw codes? Please Help.
Old March 25th, 2014, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution Found

For those people that are struggling with this Problem I finally found my solution. I realized if it revs up and hangs up then it is a Idle problem, so I unplugged my IAC valve and pulled it out and extended it so the valve was 1/16 to 1/32 open and reinstalled it. Then I started it with the connector unplugged and my Tahoe idled like it should. So then I pulled the PCM and did a continuity test on the wires (79, 78, 77, 76 in the PCM plug) and found that one of my wires had a break in it which caused my issue. I replaced the wire and the issue was solved. For those who want to replace the wires and connectors look on rockauto they have the connectors u need at a reasonable price.