Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to get more power out of K2500

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2015, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get more power out of K2500

Hi,
I am new owner of 1994 Suburban K2500 4x4, I love the room and comfort but would like to get some more HP out of the motor....I tow a 6000 LB boat yesterday and I had to be hard on the gas to keep it going. Is that normal to begin with? is there something on these trucks that might make it lose power?

Are there any upgrades or performance packages, chip, programmer or other suggestions to improve HP.

Suburban is stock, very clean and has original 112,000 miles on it.

Thanks

Edwin
Old June 14th, 2015, 4:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum....
A tuner chip might help, but you also need to make sure the engine can breath, both air in and exhaust out...
A clogged or inefficient cat can reduce high end power...
Poor fuel injector performance, tune up items like plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor....
If you are towing at altitude consider using a higher octane fuel...
Old June 14th, 2015, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

HI....Thanks for the welcome....

What Tuner chip is good for the Suburban K2500?

Is there a performance package that someone has used and is proven to improved performance?

Thanks for the advise,,,,I am changing plugs today...they looked dry and light gray....wires and cap are new.

is there a order to do improvement which is best?
Old June 14th, 2015, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Honestly I don't at the moment recall what turner chip I had in my 93 Step side.. But you can visit one of our sponsors sites and do some reading up on what is available and cost.. 1994 Chevy CK Pickup Performance Chips & Programmers - CARiD.com

A couple of items I can share are:
Don't buy into the hype that adding just an expensive air cleaner will do anything for performance... it won't, unless maybe you are redlining your engine and if you are doing that, its life will be short...

Stay away from high performance labeled anything... stock spark plugs and wires will do just fine... if a magical spark plug existed, and could provide the power and MPG the sellers promised, the auto manufactures would already be using them...

Performance is all about getting the engine to breathe efficiently, what goes in must be equally able to go out...

Consider adding a ported and polished intake manifold, some headers, dual exhaust, a cold air intake box...

If its available in your area try running a tank of 100% gasoline, in daily drivers alcohol is not really your friend...

And most of all remember, if you have performance you have to give up some economy, going fast and going fast off the line will never give you good MPG...

Keep us updated
Old June 14th, 2015, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

I also noticed the gauges have a tenancy to play around.....is this a common problem for this model?

I think like you said headers and dual exhaust will definitely be a good start and some kind of a good air intake....
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum, a good place to help solve problems. You did not mention which engine you have, assuming 5.7 (350) should have plenty of power @ just over 100 k miles, and 4x4. Check the codes in the glove box sticker for gear ratio, should be a 373 ratio. You can google VIN DECODER to find out what option's you have. Pulling 6000 pound boat is like pulling almost two small cars today, that's a load. A 4x4 truck like you have is made to grunt/pull @ moderate speed, which in my opinion you will need to put your foot into it to pull yout boat. Like op mentioned, best bang for your $$, would be a good set of headers with no less than 2 1/2 exhaust with good free flowing mufflers. Good luck.
David g.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

I have the 7.4 motor k2500..... and yes it is a 4x4.

I think I agree with headers and 2 1/2 exhaust...will also do a K&N air filter and hopefully someone has used a programmer or a chip that will up the power.....