Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to replace a license plate light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace a license plate light bulb?

Hi guys. I'm new here and I've got kind of a silly question. How do I replace a license plate light bulb in a 1999 GMC Yukon's rear bumper? FYI, my frame mounted trailer hitch is up against the rear of the bumper. Thanks! Any help is appreciated

Regards,
Fire & Ice
Old October 8th, 2009, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

I am replying to myself. I figured it out. There is a U-shaped retaining clip on the back of the bumper which holds the license plate light assembly in. I was able to get at the clip and remove it (even with the hitch receiver blocking it). The assembly then came out from the outside of the bumper and I was able to twist out the bulb holder and pull out the bulb. Repair completed. Thanks in advance.
Fire & Ice
Old October 10th, 2009, 6:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Always feels good when you can figure it out yourself. Thanks for reporting back. It could help others in the future.
Old February 21st, 2012, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

I own a 1999 Suburban and was facing the same challenge. While my setup sounds the same as yours (hitch mount in the way and metal retaining clip holding lamp assembly to bumper), I found that I was able to lay on the ground with my head under the bumper and reach my arm up and over the square hitch tubing, grab onto the white rubber boot that actually holds the lamp, and pull it out of the back of the assembly (no twisting or anything; just pull and it pops right out). I was then able to get the boot assembly (with lamp) much closer to me (wiring was long enough) to enable me to easily pull the lamp right out of the socket (again, no twisting).