Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to tell if a Tahoe has the heavy duty towing package

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a Tahoe has the heavy duty towing package

Hi guys, first time poster. We're looking to buy a 2007-2009 Tahoe but it's important that the one we get have the heavy duty tow package installed, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to tell if one has it, or just the default one that (I think?) comes standard with the LT package, which has the lower tow rating.

One used dealer said if it has the 6 prong plug receiver on it, that's the heavy duty package, but so far every single one I've looked at in photos has that, and it just doesn't seem like that many people would have that option.

So, my question is, is there an easy way to tell whether or not a relatively late model Tahoe has the heavy duty tow package?

Thanks in advance for any advice! We're finally getting rid of our Fords after three trucks and getting screwed by one too many Ford dealers.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Active Member

I did not know that they had two different kinds of tow packages. I did not know a tow package on a truck would change how much it can tow. most of the time how much it can tow will depend on the engine size and the gears in the rear end. I would have to say any tahoe with a trans cooler installed would have the tow package. you should be able to see one if you look in the front grill.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

+1 on tranny cooler. I don't think there is anything such as a HD Tow Pkg.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tow package

Granted I'm new at this, but as I understand it from brochures at the dealer and online research, the standard towing capacity is 5200 pounds. The heavy duty package lets you tow up to 8,500 lbs. with Tahoe 2WD, up to 8,200 with Tahoe 4WD according to chevrolet.com. Also from their site:

Trailering Package, heavy-duty, includes 2-speed active transfer case, external transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler, provides increased trailering capabilities. Requires Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI FlexFuel engine with Active Fuel Management, P265/70R17 all-season, blackwall tires, 17" x 7.5" aluminum, 5-spoke, wheels with smooth surface and rectangular pockets and includes 3.42 ratio rear axle.

In order to choose this feature, you have also to addRear axle, 3.42 ratioCooling, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oilCooling, external engine oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil, integral to driver side of radiatorAutomatic 2-Speed Active Transfer Case
So there are differences in the axle and the auxiliary transmission cooler, but I don't know how to tell looking at the vehicle (especially just in photos) if all of that is present or not.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

if this is a package then have the dealer run a build sheet on it for you. the build sheet will tell you everything.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Seems like to get the "pkg", you have to spec all of the options included in the pkg except for the wheels. That's what I did plus got the trlr brake controller.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you have found out, all the GMT900 SUV's have a hitch and 6 prong trailer adapter. I think the key to look for is the external transmission cooler and the RPO code for the 3.42 axle. Run the VINs at http://www.compnine.com/vid.php to see what axle and other options it has.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably the z71 package???
Old May 15th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Vester, thanks so much for the compnine link, that's been enormously helpful. So far it looks like the key code is "KNP", which is for a "heavy duty" transmission cooling system. Most of the VINs I looked at lacked that code, but two had it along with a higher GVW (7300 lbs vs 7100). Oddly it also shows a 4.10 axle, which I didn't expect.

Anyway, I think that's the key thing to look at, so I am off today to check out the two matching vehicles in the (relatively) local area that show the right code. We'll see.
Old May 17th, 2010, 7:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailering

The axles (ratio) and extra tranny cooler (center, top) infront of the A/C cooler... are different.

Also, it's a 7 pin connector, not 6.

Also, the 09 started the year you could get an integrated brake controller, since I assume you are towing a lot of weight, I guess would need one. I have it in my 09 since I tow a boat and we put electric brakes on it. (so much more control than surge). The trailer (I haven't bought yet) for my jeep will also have electric brakes.

So if your budget allows, I'd look for an 09 with one built in. Not only that but the 09 added a 6 speed tranny that will make towing a lot easier. With the LTZ, pushing the tow button also stiffens the suspension making it tow better yet!

Quick Reply: How to tell if a Tahoe has the heavy duty towing package