Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I need front-rear A/C advise 97 suburban

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2012 | 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy I need front-rear A/C advise 97 suburban

Just bought a suburban from a guy that claims that he has to recharge his A/C every two years or so. I'm guessing there must be a small leak or he lied through his teeth and theres a huge hole but none the less the air no workie in the front or the rear. How do I determine if there is a hole in the AC and how do I localize it to the front or the rear system. I hear there is a kit for caping off the rear AC. Are the rear A/C lines that expensive to replace? Looking for advise for my spring project.

1997 Suburban K1500 5.7L
Old October 2nd, 2012 | 6:22 AM
CF Senior Member

I used the 3 regular cans and on one can with the floresant dye in it found the leak in the high pressure hose connection by the front of the engine didn't even need a black light,before you start anything i would look for any of the connections to be wet with oil thats usually a sign of a leak
Old October 9th, 2012 | 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

A/c compressor and lines running to rear are the two biggest leakers. The compressor will be wet around the middle where it's put together. The lines running to rear under the right side, will be leaking under the brackets that hold it to the body. One or the other, seen it a lot. Sometimes people replace the a/c lines under the hood with lines off of a pickup truck of the same year, it's cheaper, but you lose the rear a/c.