Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ideas For a "RestoMod" 1998 Suburban K1500

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2015, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas For a "RestoMod" 1998 Suburban K1500

Hi guys! I'm definitely a new guy and have been poking around the forum and finally registered. I have found some bits and pieces on restoration projects, but not much on a resto-mod sort of project.

I am the original owner of a 1998 Suburban K1500 LT. Love this truck and rather than sell it, I'd like to look into "modernizing" it. It really doesn't need anything yet...body is near perfect, interior is good for a 15 year old, 180K miles, some whine from the rear end and the suspension/steering is getting a little loose. Basically stock with larger wheels and T/A's, cold air intake, cat back 3" exhaust, rancho shocks and that's about it.

Rather than spending a pile on something new or even new'ish, I'd like to get some ideas to update the '98. I really like this body style and am loyal to this truck - it has never let me down!!! Considering what a new rig would cost, I'd rather have a new version of the '98 that would continue to be a solid daily driver with some better and more up to date performance and towing.

So here's what I'm thinking - and you guys are the experts - stock stance and height, no changes to the body and apart from new upholstery and audio upgrade, not too much to change inside

Upgrade the engine and drive train - crate LS engine conversion? Upgraded transmission, transfer case and rear end (I tow a 5,500lb boat)?

Suspension, brakes and steering?

I've done most of the maintenance myself and can do most of the work, but probably not the real heavy stuff and I'd probably have someone do something like the engine conversion because of the electronics.

What sort of parts and or upgrades are available? Any ideas on cost and complexity?

Lots of questions, I know, but figured I'd put this out there and let the creativity flow!! Thanks again and I really appreciate all the great info out there.
Old January 14th, 2015, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Upgrade Brakes for sure

I had 98 -- Horrible brakes, glad I got rid of that truck.

There are after market kits for changing rears to disc. If you have to get into rear end that is time to do it. You have to pull axles (at least the kit I looked at back then).
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! Can't argue with that...my ABS module went out and it takes even more "finesse" to brake hard and not lock it up.