Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Improving mpg--Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine vs yours

73shark, I didn't know I had to get the MPG cops involed in this. I thought I was just giving a fellow suburban owner MPG tips. As to data, try this on for size. My stock 03
Suburban when I purchase it in 2010 with 131K on it. I'm 119 miles from San Diego International Airport. That's half a tank of gas I've used to use to get there. After I installed my FUJITA CAI with the tornado and switch to Royal Purple. I arrived at San Diego Intl Airport again using 1/4 tank of gas. So you do the math and I'm hoping you're a SUV V/8 owner. I'll put mine against yours any day and I'll watch you pullover or exit for gas while I'll cruise @ 70 another 50/60 mpg before I fill up. I join this site to get tips and offer tips 73shark. Not to debate, So I'll be the better SUV owner and toss the white flag. I'm open for tips from you also but closed for debates. God Bless 73shark.
QUOTE=73shark;300971]Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately your mpg evidence is less than anecdotal since you have no actual data. 400 miles on 3/4 tank doesn't equate to anything. No before data for comparison either.

And as for the Tornado and TB spacer, well if they really improved mpg, don't you think the mfgs would use them since they have to meet 54+ mpg by 2025? Don't forget cow magnets and water vapor injection. They were biggies back in the 70s during the energy crisis.

While a CAI has been shown to marginally increase hp, it's at the high end of the rpm band where the engine operates infrequently. By the way the GMT800 already has a CAI. While a dry filter might increase airflow slightly, the ECM soon compensates for it.

Try pure gas. I used it for over 1,100 miles and mpg improved 1.52 or 12%. Filled at the same pump every time.[/QUOTE]
Old May 4th, 2015, 7:52 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Debating can be a good way to vet out facts from fiction..
For sure synthetic oil does improve over-all MPG as does using 100% alcohol free gas...
Improving the way an engine can breathe helps performance more so then MPG, however it must be done correctly in that allowing more air into the system does little if the exhaust output ability is not also increased...

Any gains, no matter performance or mpg, have to be weighed against the cost to get them, the cost of $850 in improvements i.e. CAI and high flow exhaust are going to take years to recoup in gas savings, and that is assuming the driver ALWAYS drives in a conservative mode.

More often then not, a driver hears the new sound of the cold air intake because the muffling has been removed,( that is really all aftermarket CIA's do is remove the baffles for sound control from the stock CAI) and you want to display that sound because it sounds cool! so you throttle more and those gains are out the tail pipe...

Old May 4th, 2015, 8:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy03burban
My stock 03
Suburban when I purchase it in 2010 with 131K on it. I'm 119 miles from San Diego International Airport. That's half a tank of gas I've used to use to get there. After I installed my FUJITA CAI with the tornado and switch to Royal Purple. I arrived at San Diego Intl Airport again using 1/4 tank of gas.
First of all, figuring your gas mileage by using your fuel gauge isn't exactly precise. It would be like using your electric meter to figure out how much power it takes to charge your laptop.

But, putting that aside, let's do some basic math. Your Suburban has a 26-gallon tank. Half a tank for 119 miles would be 119/13 or 9.15 MPG. That's some pretty terrible mileage.

Now, after your "mods," you're using a quarter tank, or 26/4=6.5 gallons. Well, 119/6.5 is 18 MPG, which is right about where I'd expect it to be for a typical Suburban.

A V8 engine sucks a lot of air. By installing the Tornado, you're restricting the flow of air into the engine - you've just stuck an obstruction in the intake. Less air = less power. Period. No "debate" necessary. Here are some tests by reputable companies:

Popular Mechanics
Consumer Reports

And lastly, as mentioned above, the automakers are constantly under pressure to improve the mileage of their fleets through CAFE regulations. If a crappy little piece of metal could increase mileage so substantially (or even a little), don't you think they'd be in every car?
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default I totally agree

But I paid less then $850.00 for my CAI (free)Tornado (free) ,throt Bdy spcr,exhaust. But if you're a Hwy driver with plenty of miles, you can recoup the $850.00 in Gas charges. No other state in the Nation w/ higher gas $ then Ca. Plus weight is being shaved off of stk exhaust.

Originally Posted by in2pro
Debating can be a good way to vet out facts from fiction..
For sure synthetic oil does improve over-all MPG as does using 100% alcohol free gas...
Improving the way an engine can breathe helps performance more so then MPG, however it must be done correctly in that allowing more air into the system does little if the exhaust output ability is not also increased...

Any gains, no matter performance or mpg, have to be weighed against the cost to get them, the cost of $850 in improvements i.e. CAI and high flow exhaust are going to take years to recoup in gas savings, and that is assuming the driver ALWAYS drives in a conservative mode.

More often then not, a driver hears the new sound of the cold air intake because the muffling has been removed,( that is really all aftermarket CIA's do is remove the baffles for sound control from the stock CAI) and you want to display that sound because it sounds cool! so you throttle more and those gains are out the tail pipe...

Old May 4th, 2015, 1:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody have a real gas link?
Old May 4th, 2015, 2:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Areas around lakes are the best place to find it... you can try this link Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Old May 4th, 2015, 9:10 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy03burban
73shark, I didn't know I had to get the MPG cops involed in this. I thought I was just giving a fellow suburban owner MPG tips. As to data, try this on for size. My stock 03
Suburban when I purchase it in 2010 with 131K on it. I'm 119 miles from San Diego International Airport. That's half a tank of gas I've used to use to get there. After I installed my FUJITA CAI with the tornado and switch to Royal Purple. I arrived at San Diego Intl Airport again using 1/4 tank of gas. So you do the math and I'm hoping you're a SUV V/8 owner. I'll put mine against yours any day and I'll watch you pullover or exit for gas while I'll cruise @ 70 another 50/60 mpg before I fill up. I join this site to get tips and offer tips 73shark. Not to debate, So I'll be the better SUV owner and toss the white flag. I'm open for tips from you also but closed for debates. God Bless 73shark.
Since your mind is made up, I won't waste your time confusing you w/ any more facts. BTW as you can see from my avatar and sig, I drive a 2010 Tahoe.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Senior Member

I seem to have a ride that get exceptional fuel mileage.

2008 5.3 flex motor 3:73 gears LSD 2WD its a 3LT model and loaded.

The number one best way to improve fuel mileage is relearning how to accelerate. Gradual pedal pressure and slow movements of the foot and allow you self time to accelerate to the given speed. When passing I use the foot to the floor method LOL.

I use synth oil and RP ICE in my coolant. MY engine temp are down and as well as my oil temp.

I also have Michelin mxs or some such type of tire. 20 inch rims. The tires are new and they never seem to increase in pressure no matter how fast I drive.....

37lbs cold all the way around

60-65mph I hold a steady average of 24-25.7mpg
65-68mph I hold at steady 23-24.6mpg
68-73mph I hold a steady 22.4-23.8mpg
73-76mph I hold a steady 21.8-22.5mpg

76-80mph it drops to a rock steady 18.8mpg

80+mph it averages 15-18 (usually because I on the throttle passing hwy traffic.

I make several trips to SOCAL on hwy 10 or 8, lots of trip to vegas but that is hilly and lots of traffic.

Most load to SOCAL is with 2 adults 2 toddlers and assorted luggage and large stroller.

LOADS:

When I am loaded down, 4 adults 4 children strollers etc. at 65mph Ill get 17.7-19mpg on hwy 101 in traffic.

The worst I got was doing 85-90mph unloaded LA to Phoenix 15.2mpg

all these numbers improve by about 2mpg if the ambient air is 50 or below and no more that 700 ft above sea level.

I don't think there is a magic potion, I do think that relearning how to accelerate is the key, light on the pedal and slow movements keep mpg up.

Last edited by Scotiapilot; May 5th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:19 AM
CF Senior Member

ONE more thing! BIG one here......Do not rely on your cruise control. It is not programmed for best mileage. Its a dumb mechanism designed to keep avg speed and will go WOT to maintain any given speed when the car is completely capable of smaller throttle increments
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
anybody have a real gas link?
This might help...

Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Quick Reply: Improving mpg--Suburban