Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installing New Radio in 2001 Suburban Problem

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing New Radio in 2001 Suburban Problem

Hello Guys. I'm new to the whole installing systems and stuff so I have a couple questions.

I tried installing a new Boss 822UA In-Dash Double-Din in my truck. I got all the wiring right I think. I bought the 94-06 stereo harness adapter and wired it correctly to the new boss radio. Except on the harness adapter there is a orange and a dark navy blue one not connected because the new radio harness did not have those color wires. And the new radio wire harness has a bright blue wire not connected. I still connected the radio and it all turned on and cd loads but no sound is played through the speaker? I've read some forums talking about a pink wire but not sure what to do with it. They say its the factory amp but I'm not sure. My chevy has onstar and no Bose. I do not care about onstar and never plan on getting it connected. I also plan on installing a new amp and subwoofers. But first I want to know how to get my new radio working with the factory speakers. Thanks to anyone that helps! Sorry if I sound like a total newbie.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone know?
Old March 6th, 2013, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

You're going to have to connect your remote wire from the radio to your factory amp. I'm not sure what the color is. I would try to look at you tube video's. I found some video's on installing double din radios. Hope this helps.
Old March 9th, 2013, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Hi

I'm not sure if you are still looking for answer. I just replaced the factory radio on my 2003 Suburban LS with a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT and my front door speakers with JBL GTO638 and rear door speakers with CDT CL-6EX. Mine does not have a factory amp. Both speakers sounds really nice. I liked the JBL GTO638 better. I know both speakers have to break in. To answer your question, the orange amp control wire people are talking about is on the 12 pin connector. To make it clear on the back side of your radio there are 2 connectors. I guess one is a 24 pin and other is a 12 pin. If you have any connections to the 12 pin connector that's where your amp remote trigger is. Look for an orange (some say pink, I can't validate that coz I don't have a factory amp) wire on the 12 pin connector. In my case there was no connection to the 12 pin connector. I do not have a factory amp. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by JKBurban; March 9th, 2013 at 6:43 AM.
Old March 9th, 2013, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Here is a picture. I have marked the 12 pin connector I'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails Installing New Radio in 2001 Suburban Problem-img_0827_m.jpg  
Old April 11th, 2017, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pink Wire

Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum and I see this is an old posted question, but I thought I provide an answer for those of you who are just now dealing with the questions when installing an aftermarket radio in your AMP equipped Chevy 1999-2002. I recently bought a double din radio that comes with all the hookups, navigation, backup camera, etc.
After installing the radio I also had the same problem with no sound coming out of the speakers, even though the radio powered on and the navigation worked. The problem as some of you have heard is that these trucks (1999-2002) have an amplifier between the speakers and the radio. Although only the front and passenger door speakers are amplified, all the signals pass though the amp. Too get power to the amp you have to take the "Remote" or "Cont P" wire coming out of your radio and attache it to a pink (light red) wire that comes out of the second harness that plugged into your old Chevy stock radio that you just removed. The pink wire is the wire that powers the amplifier; once you provide this connection you will get sound from your speakers.

Additionally, the amp in these truck is know to give problems and it is best to just bypass the amp altogether if you want and provide the pure signal from your new radio to the speakers. The only thing is that the current stock speakers on your Chevy truck are not made to work with the signal out of your new radio; if you pull the speakers out you will notice that two are 4 ohm and two are 8 ohm. This is because the signal to the two front doors is split between the speaker and tweeter, while the passenger doors are not.
So, the best thing is to replace the speakers as well and to bypass the amp for the from and passenger door speakers. I found a great guide on how to do this job at this site: SHA - - - Bypass Factory Amp/Crossover in 2002 Chevy Tahoe
just ordered my parts from Amazon and plan to complete the job this weekend.

I hope this helps others.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed777:
Ala'a Al-Hmaisat (April 3rd, 2020), Docness1208 (October 7th, 2023)
Old February 6th, 2021, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Pink Wire

Originally Posted by Ed777
Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum and I see this is an old posted question, but I thought I provide an answer for those of you who are just now dealing with the questions when installing an aftermarket radio in your AMP equipped Chevy 1999-2002. I recently bought a double din radio that comes with all the hookups, navigation, backup camera, etc.
After installing the radio I also had the same problem with no sound coming out of the speakers, even though the radio powered on and the navigation worked. The problem as some of you have heard is that these trucks (1999-2002) have an amplifier between the speakers and the radio. Although only the front and passenger door speakers are amplified, all the signals pass though the amp. Too get power to the amp you have to take the "Remote" or "Cont P" wire coming out of your radio and attache it to a pink (light red) wire that comes out of the second harness that plugged into your old Chevy stock radio that you just removed. The pink wire is the wire that powers the amplifier; once you provide this connection you will get sound from your speakers.

Additionally, the amp in these truck is know to give problems and it is best to just bypass the amp altogether if you want and provide the pure signal from your new radio to the speakers. The only thing is that the current stock speakers on your Chevy truck are not made to work with the signal out of your new radio; if you pull the speakers out you will notice that two are 4 ohm and two are 8 ohm. This is because the signal to the two front doors is split between the speaker and tweeter, while the passenger doors are not.
So, the best thing is to replace the speakers as well and to bypass the amp for the from and passenger door speakers. I found a great guide on how to do this job at this site: SHA - - - Bypass Factory Amp/Crossover in 2002 Chevy Tahoe
just ordered my parts from Amazon and plan to complete the job this weekend.

Ed, I joined this forum just to give you a BIG THANK YOU! I've been messing around trying to figure out why my new radio doesn't have any audio output. Everything else works, but no sound. Connecting the pink wire to my new radio's amp output wire did the trick! Your post certainly helped me.
Old October 7th, 2023, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default You’re the ****!!!

Originally Posted by ed777
hi guys,
i am new to the forum and i see this is an old posted question, but i thought i provide an answer for those of you who are just now dealing with the questions when installing an aftermarket radio in your amp equipped chevy 1999-2002. I recently bought a double din radio that comes with all the hookups, navigation, backup camera, etc.
After installing the radio i also had the same problem with no sound coming out of the speakers, even though the radio powered on and the navigation worked. The problem as some of you have heard is that these trucks (1999-2002) have an amplifier between the speakers and the radio. Although only the front and passenger door speakers are amplified, all the signals pass though the amp. Too get power to the amp you have to take the "remote" or "cont p" wire coming out of your radio and attache it to a pink (light red) wire that comes out of the second harness that plugged into your old chevy stock radio that you just removed. The pink wire is the wire that powers the amplifier; once you provide this connection you will get sound from your speakers.

Additionally, the amp in these truck is know to give problems and it is best to just bypass the amp altogether if you want and provide the pure signal from your new radio to the speakers. The only thing is that the current stock speakers on your chevy truck are not made to work with the signal out of your new radio; if you pull the speakers out you will notice that two are 4 ohm and two are 8 ohm. This is because the signal to the two front doors is split between the speaker and tweeter, while the passenger doors are not.
So, the best thing is to replace the speakers as well and to bypass the amp for the from and passenger door speakers. I found a great guide on how to do this job at this site: sha - - - bypass factory amp/crossover in 2002 chevy tahoe
just ordered my parts from amazon and plan to complete the job this weekend.

youre the man!