Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installing a second battery....

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2007, 9:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installing a second battery....

You don't say what model you have, so hopefully this will apply. On mine, there is a positive battery cable running frombattery oneacrossthe vehicletoa terminal at the rear of theunder hood fuse box, which is behind battery tray two. If hooking up two batteries in parallel will indeed work, then it shouldn't matter where the positive terminals are connected, so itwouldseem that you could connect the positive terminal of the new battery to the same terminal locationthat the original battery is connected to. Then connect the new battery to a good ground. This would only require two short battery cables, and should put thesecond battery into the system in parallel with the first battery.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Wouldn't the downside to this hookup (without isolation) be that both batteries will run down together? Maybe that's OK tho if you're just looking for extra juice.
Old March 16th, 2007, 2:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. You can simply buy some car audio wiring, 4 gauge or 0 gauge wire, and custom make wiring. You can then use gold battery terminals and ring terminals to make your connections. We can supply you with all of this at SMM Performance, www.gosmm.com shoot me an email!
Old March 16th, 2007, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Wouldn't the downside to this hookup (without isolation) be that both batteries will run down together? Maybe that's OK tho if you're just looking for extra juice.
Yes, they will both run down. Also, if one battery develops an internal short it will discharge the other one as well and your "best" battery will only be as good as your "worst" battery - think of it as connecting a hose between two tires; if one was at 30 psi and the other at 40 psi before connecting, after connecting they would equalize to something like 35psi.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM Actually has an option number for the second battery kit, which I assume includes the harness and necessary parts to hook up safely.

I found it by mistake while browsing the GM Fleet catalog and saw a Tahoe police package.
[blockquote]
6A6
DUAL CRANKING 730 CCA BATTERIES
[/blockquote]
I assume the partscan be ordered through the fleet manager at any dealership.
I was actually looking for something else and a bit more interesting but I can see why it would need a second battery...
[blockquote]
6J7
FLASHER SYSTEM
- Headlamp and Tail Lamp - DRL Compatible, Headlamp Flasher Module with Control Wire and Body Control
Module Rear Lamp Flashing[/blockquote]
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2007 Tahoe had a second battery installed by the previous owner. I know nothing about the install but it was done at a GM/Chevy dealership. I took off the negative battery cable on the main battery. My vehicle still had power.

My question is how do I cut off the power to the entire vehicle? The negative on the second battery isnt easliy accessible. So any advice for anyone that has this? I thought disconnecting the main battery would cut off both?
Old March 14th, 2008, 7:14 PM
Administrator

Can you disconnect the positive cable on the second battery?

I have this feeling of deja vu all over again.
Old March 14th, 2008, 7:28 PM
CF Addict

I probably can, however are you trying to get me killed? Is that safe to do that? Sorry, not the best with the electrical system.
Old March 14th, 2008, 7:38 PM
Administrator

As long as you don't let the wrench touch the ground terminal or the vehicle, you'll be OK.
Old March 14th, 2008, 8:47 PM
CF Addict

Ok, I thought that might be the "how to" for the following reason. The second batter has a spin release on top of it. SO i can actually just twist the power/hot off the second battery.

I wonder if I spin that off if it only disconeects the second battery, or both? Do I need to make sure the ground is off the first to do so? Or can i remove the hot from the second battery with the primary hooked up?

Sorry for all the questions, batterys scare me!

Quick Reply: Installing a second battery....