Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Interior light problem, 99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2006, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior light problem, 99 Tahoe

Hello... I am having an interior light problem on my 99 Tahoe, hopefully someone has an idea what's going on and can give me some pointers.

For no particular reason, the courtesy lights (all the lights that come on when you open the door...at feet, on doors, dome and rear dome) flicker. I can be driving down the road and they just flicker on and off. Also, I have been out of the truck for a while and have gone back out and the lights are on. Obviously, I have had to replace the battery once.

I can't seem to replicate the problem, by going over rough patches or shaking the doors. I hear a click when the lights come on near the headlight switch, but can't seem to see what's going on...while driving! [>:] I'm wondering if it could be the delay timer, any ideas if this is a dealer part?

Or is the thing just possessed?

Thanks!
Old November 6th, 2006, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Interior light problem, 99 Tahoe

Could it be the switch in one of the door jams? If it is flickering and it's all of the lights that come on when the door is open, I would start there.

If it's not there try the switch for the interior light levels, the one you use to dim or brighten the dash lights. If you turn it all the way those lights come on right?
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Right, it's those lights that flicker.

Thanks for your help, I am beginng to think my dream car may not be so dreamy .
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

It's possible that one of the door switch wires has worn thru the insulation and intermittently touches body metal (ground). The way GM switches the lites on is by taking the ground side of the circuit to ground at the door switch. I assume that they do this because it is easy. However that means there is always 12V at the lite. It sure makes for some weird electrical problems because of ground loops. That's what sometimes causes someone's turn signal to flash when they turn on the wipers or honk the horn as examples.
Old November 8th, 2006, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it!

Get this, I thought it was coming from the passenger side....because when I make a left turn (throwing the weight to the right) it seemed to flicker. BUT, throw ALL of that out the window. Went outside after I had been couple of hours, trying to decide if I should remove the fuse to save the battery.... as I was standing there....on went the lights!

Strange, isn't it? I'm leaning towards my original thought, 'Betsy' is just possessed!!