Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Intermittent #6 Cylinder miss

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2018, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent #6 Cylinder miss

2009 Suburban 5.3L active engine management. #6 cylinder misfire intermittently at the same time #6 drops out Stabilitrak, and traction control warnings come on. When #6 starts firing all Stabilitrak, traction control warnings go off. Seems that hitting a bump causes the issue to either occur, or go away. Might be coincidental with the bump, but pretty sure that is what happens.
Old July 27th, 2018, 12:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jsully
2009 Suburban 5.3L active engine management. #6 cylinder misfire intermittently at the same time #6 drops out Stabilitrak, and traction control warnings come on. When #6 starts firing all Stabilitrak, traction control warnings go off. Seems that hitting a bump causes the issue to either occur, or go away. Might be coincidental with the bump, but pretty sure that is what happens.
If you don't have an OBD II code reader, you can buy one, or most auto stores will run the codes for you. Post any OBD II codes here so we can help you.
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

I have a code reader, that is how I know #6 is where the miss is located. My code reader does not read issues with the Stabiitrack or Traction control. My confusion is how is the Stabilitrack, traction control connected to the misfire. Both the cylinder miss and the Stabilitrack, traction control occur simultaneously, and go away together. Plugs and wires were replaced about 3,000 miles back. Also from reading on this forum taking it to a dealer doesn't seem to be an answer. The dealers discussed do not seem to have a clue, and just throw parts at the problem. I did stop at one dealership, quickly determined they weren't able to help me.
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm thinking, and I should know since I own a 2003, and had a 2000 change coil pack with another cylinder, see if it follows
Old July 27th, 2018, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Swapping coils was on my list. I am getting up there in years, so it's difficult to access. I have checked the obvious, loose wires etc, so coil is next,
Old July 27th, 2018, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Switched coils, nothing changes, still recording misfires on #6, stabilitrack still service needed. Waiting for engine to cool so I can switch plugs to see if the miss follows. Still not understanding why stabilitrack is involved.
Old July 27th, 2018, 1:57 PM
CF Monarch

Plug, if that's not it, swap plug wire. I don't understand the stabilitrack either. Hopefully tech 2 or shark will add something.
Old July 27th, 2018, 2:00 PM
CF Monarch

Miles on the engine? Is the misfire frequent, as in every time you drive it?
Old July 27th, 2018, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

130,000miles on engine. At the moment it is a constant problem, but it has been intermittent, as much as 1,000 miles between incidents. Miss is obvious, code reader is only needed to indicate cylinder involved. When it quits everything is normal, no warnings or service engine lights. Engine should be cool enough to change plugs/wires. I'll see what that does.
Old July 27th, 2018, 3:13 PM
CF Monarch

Hope it's a plug, or wire, else it might be a burnt valve.