Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Intermittent Starting 2009 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2015, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting 2009 Tahoe

Hello. I have Tahoe has had starting problems for a few weeks. It is intermittent, as it will act up for a few days then be fine for few days. When trying to start, I get no crank, but a "click, click, click" then suddenly it will fire. Ive done two full system checks one of which at the dealer. They got lucky and found a bad cell in the battery. I replaced the battery two weeks ago and havent had any problems until yesterday. Now im back to having the orignal problem again. There is an after market stereo that sometimes resets itself as if the battery has been disconnected when I experience the starting problems. My only thoughts now are a bad connection between the ignition and the stereo or the ignition itself. Any help is appreciated. Im running out of options. Sorry for the spelling, I typed this fast...

Thanks!
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:36 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery

even with the OEM SatNav I found the OEM battery lacking. I went to an Optima Yellow top back in 2009 in my Tahoe, and.... it's still in there working just fine 100,000 miles and 6 years later.

w/the Yellow top I could listen to the radio for 2 hours while washing it... then fire it right up.
OEM battery would be dead in 20 min.
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery is an advanced auto 750 CCA. That should be plenty as I have no other components being used. No A/C power used when were are not driving.
Old April 27th, 2015, 2:23 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

dwanchena Welcome to the forum, I too think it has to be a poor connection, check both ends of the positive cable and the ground cable, replace if you seen any corrosion...
Check the battery terminals and ensure they are sung and clean...
If you have access to a clamp on amp meter you can check the draws on the battery...
Here is some info that may help as well
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...p-meter-64993/

SabrToothSqrl, What Yellow top did you go with, I am considering the Yellow top and they do not show what battery I need for my 07 I figure is a class 34
Old April 28th, 2015, 7:15 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default top

man that was 6 years ago!

Yes, I think it was a 34. The connectors on the truck side are goofy, but they've been holding for 6 years.