Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

introduction and some questions

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default introduction and some questions

first off ill introduce myself, im john, i just turned 18 and i live in ohio.
I own a black 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited 5.2L v8 with 128xxx miles and absolutely love that thing. my mom has a 96 2 door 2wd tahoe with about 148xxx miles in a dark blueish color.
ill post up some pics of both rides soon

couple questions.
what weight oil should i use for my moms hoe and how many quarts?
also, what weight rear differential fluid do these take? and how much
while im at it, are there any common problems associated with my moms generation tahoes?
also what rear axle does my moms tahoe have?
and does it have an LSD? (i dont think it does but thought id check)
im not new to working on cars, as i have worked on my jeep before (mantenaince, small mods, nothing major), but i have not done very much regarding my moms tahoe.
thanks in advance
john
Old January 14th, 2008, 9:28 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: introduction and some questions

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. The oil weight and capacities of the various components should be in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can register it at https://www.mygmlink.com/and get a pdf version online.

Can't help on axle ratio or positrac (or maybe G80 locker) but maybe ZX can if he sees your post.

Your Mom is lucky to both have a 2-door Tahoe and you as a son to take care of it.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blackzj52
couple questions.
what weight oil should i use for my moms hoe and how many quarts? Depends on the climate in your area - check your owners manual for recommendations
also, what weight rear differential fluid do these take? I would look at your owners manual for recommendations and stick to them - I agree with shark73 and woould go to mygmlink.com and register.
while im at it, are there any common problems associated with my moms generation tahoes?
also what rear axle does my moms tahoe have? Look in your glovebox for the SPID label (Basically its a sticker that has a bunch of 3 letter/digit codes that tell what your vehicle had it in when it was built)
and does it have an LSD? (i dont think it does but thought id check)
im not new to working on cars, as i have worked on my jeep before (mantenaince, small mods, nothing major), but i have not done very much regarding my moms tahoe.
thanks in advance
john
P.S. Welcome to ChevroletForum.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 15th, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

alright guys, ill have to go checkout the owners manual.
thanks for all the info and the warm welcome
Old January 15th, 2008, 1:43 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome John.
The oil requirements for the 5.7L are 5W-30 year round however with 148K miles it may a bit loose inside, I would use 5W-30 but if you notice that the engine starts using oil then switch to 10W-30, it holds just about 6 quarts when the filter is changed.

The owners manual will tell you to use 80W-90 gear lube in the rear-end however GM now uses 75W90 synthetic gear lube and you would be well off to make the switch if you do change the lube, you will need 3 quarts of lube, most of the 2WD Tahoe's had the 8.5" rear axle which holds just a little over 2 quarts if it has the 9.5" rear end then it will take nearly all 3 quarts.

To determine which axle ration you have refer to the white sticker in the bottom of the glove box and look for options codes such as GT4 or GT5 etc report back, most of the 2WD models had either 3.42 or 3.73 ratio.
If you notice code G80 then you have the Eaton Locking Rear Axle.
Old December 21st, 2008, 9:04 PM
CF Active Member

I have a question about the codes. I recently started seeing the "add engine oil low oil level" it usually starts after my oil change. I use Mobil 1 5W-30. I never had this problem before but my last 2-3 oil changes. I do have about 57000 miles on a 2007. ZX if you could help me out as to why or if this a problem that chevy would have to take care of. Thanks in advance.