Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

iPod Annoyance - USB Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2011, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod Annoyance - USB Wiring Question

Greetings All,
First-time poster here! I have a 2010 Suburban with the integrated iPod connection in the center console. While it is a wonderful feature, there is one thing that has driven me nuts since I bought this thing and I have finally gotten around to addressing it.

I cannot stand the fact that when you turn the ignition off, you have to Eject the aux device in the Audio control screen, manually disconnect, and then reconnect the iPod to restore the functionality of the iPod. I have examined this problem and after some analysis figured out that the physical resetting probably works because it disconnects the USB power signal in order to tell the system that there is a device to be used. I tested this by using an iPod cable. I removed a section of the outer insulation and then cut the USB power signal (red wire in the 4-wire USB standard). I then stripped the ends of this wire and twisted them together to restore the connection. I started the truck and connected the iPod, which performed as advertised. I then Ejected the iPod and then untwisted and re-twisted the power wire. Shazam! It worked perfectly.

What I want to do is install a Normally-Closed, Momentarily-Open switch in the dashboard that is wired into this USB power circuit. That way, when I start the truck, I can hit this switch to reset the USB signal and not have to open the center console to handle the iPod.

Here is my question: Does anybody know where the USB wiring terminates in the dashboard and what color the wiring standard is for that termination? My Haynes manual does not have an identified USB circuit in its schematics, though it could be part of the GMLAN assembly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Chuck
Old November 30th, 2011, 1:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow

that's a lot of work for something that should 'work' from the factory.

are you stating that you can't just leave the ipod attached 24/7 in the car?

what a GM setup! lol
my buddies Toyota does that just fine.

Let us know if you get it working. Do you have latest OS for the ipod? and latest firmware for the headunit?
Old November 30th, 2011, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

You can leave it plugged in, but the system does not recognize the iPod and allow you to browse/select/operate it normally until you do the manual reconnect. It is by design as the owner's manual does indicate that this is the normal mode of operation. Crazy, huh?

I guarantee you that I will get it to work once I can figure out where the USB wiring goes and what the color coding is.
Old November 30th, 2011, 8:16 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

ChuckinTX: Welcome to the forum.

How about putting a push-button switch in the back side of the console by the rear HVAC controls and RSE if equipped?
Old November 30th, 2011, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Shark!
I have thought of that. It is more a desire for better ergonomics - the ipod is controlled from the entertainment center and I would like to have the switch in that area. I could do what you suggest or I could put an inline switch into the cable itself as backup plans, but I am hoping I can suss out this USB issue.
Old December 1st, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Addict

Default hm

now you have me thinking.

While you are at it, why would you want to have to hit the button? there should be a way to design it so that when it gets power it will open/close as needed.

How-To: Design your own iPod super dock (Part 2) -- Engadget

also check these guys, they helped me with my high school remote power window opener trick setup (i'd hold a button and my power windows would go up/down remotely)

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams

That relay setup should work to automate the button pressing!
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Sqrl,
Love the concept and the execution of the homemade ipod dock (in my younger days, I would have had the time to do this!). However, this doesn't really address the issue since the iPod integration is standard with the vehicle and there is no need for additional ports or features.

The big problem is that the entire mechanism is software resident in the entertainment system. I have experimented with the timing of when the system will recognize that a device is available for use and that occurs after the entertainment system has booted up. I did this by sitting in the car and unplugging and replugging the iPod at different times relative to starting the car and watching the entertainment system go through its initialization.

While a relay might be an idea, it would have to be timed to restore the connection some number of seconds after accessory power has been kicked on...and I would still need it to be in series with the USB power line! Hence, I am back to my original problem. I don't really want to muck around with the center console as it seems to be a major pain to work with.

Thanks for the thought!

Regards,
Chuck
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM
CF Addict

Default info

sorry, I was not suggesting to make a dock, I just figured you could learn from that site, to possibly find out more about how the connectors / ports / etc work on the ipod/phone.

I'm surprised no one has made a module, say where you plug the Tahoe into one side, via USB, and the iphone into the other... and it fixes this problem.

it's not by design, it's by stupidity. they couldn't get it to work right, so... they called it a 'feature'.
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

I have been pondering this since you sent me to the the12volt.com and there is a true accessory power outlet just below the USB port. Thus, I have a 12V line that is independent of the 5V USB power in the immediate vicinity. I am going to have a ponder about your idea of a module that I could embed just inside the USB port in the console...
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
CF Addict

Default connection

all it does is break the connection...?

I'd personally prefer to break the USB connection(I assume ground or similar would suffice) NOT in the vehicle.

use some cheap USB cables (google them) and setup a circuit board or something...

then you can remove it from the vehicle if / when needed, and you don't hack up the car.

Often while researching your goal, your goal changes... hopefully for the better

HEY: would a 'powered' USB hub break the connection when power is added / removed?

then you could just use an existing device with no 'hacks' at all!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182174

I don't personally know what happens if you remove power from it... if it shuts off the USB ports or not.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 1st, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: iPod Annoyance - USB Wiring Question