Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ipod interface options

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2007, 9:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ipod interface options

I think, but not 100% positive if that will work on Tahoes/Yukons but I think it will, if you put toggle switch in between Your VSS wire, then You'll be able to use some of those functions while You driving. it will not make your dvd to display while in motion, but let you access some other functions that are disable as well.
I have lock_pick installed on my STS, and still could not use my bluetooth option,that built into the nav radio, till i installed a switch on VSS wire
Old March 7th, 2007, 9:43 PM
CF Junior Member

So its pretty much a lame piece of equipment while in motion??? What exactly is the VSS wire and what does it do? If the VSS wire is what is keeping the DVD and XM scrolling features from working while in motion, cant I just cut this wire to allow the features to work while in motion?
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: knute3

So its pretty much a lame piece of equipment while in motion??? What exactly is the VSS wire and what does it do? If the VSS wire is what is keeping the DVD and XM scrolling features from working while in motion, cant I just cut this wire to allow the features to work while in motion?
VSS is the vehicle speed sense wire, tell You Navigation how fast or slow you driving, helps Your navigation to be more accurate.
if you noticed, when You drive faster then 5 mph some of functions are grey out. so this is one of the functions VSS takes control
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: gm_geek

VSS is the vehicle speed sense wire, tell You Navigation how fast or slow you driving, helps Your navigation to be more accurate.
if you noticed, when You drive faster then 5 mph some of functions are grey out. so this is one of the functions VSS takes control

What would happen if I disconnected the VSS wire?
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
CF Active Member

probably nothing. but if You'll keep disconnected for a long period oftime, Your map position will not be accurate, but it will take a few minutes for GPS to recalibrate it self
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: gm_geek

probably nothing. but if You'll keep disconnected for a long period oftime, Your map position will not be accurate, but it will take a few minutes for GPS to recalibrate it self
What kind of accuracy loss are we talking about? Any other side effects by cutting this wire? Doesnt cutting this wire accomplish everything a lockpick without spending the $250? Will cutting this wire affect the DVD restriction, XM scrolling restriction, and the ipod scrolling restrictions?

Just curious....

Or could I put a toggle switch on the VSS wire to disable it when I want to get around some of the in motion restrictions, and then turn it back on when using the nav system is necessary?
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
CF Active Member

by cutting VSS wire you will not damage anything. (that's for sure)
if You want to watch movie while in motion, You still need to get lock_pick
VSS wire only control XM scrolling restriction and NAV operation while in drive.
good news is, You can test it first without cuting anything. just simply disconnect brown connector behined your radio, and see if You can access xm functions and nav functions while in drive over 5mph.
if it works, then You know for sure cut VSS wire or not
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
CF Junior Member

But how much will it affect the accuracy of my nav unit?
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM
CF Active Member

But how much will it affect the accuracy of my nav unit?
If You disconnect VSS foe a short period of tome, so you can let say enter destination, while in motion.
It's ok, it will take GPS a minute or two to recalibrate it self, and You will be fine
But If You disconnect VSS for a long period of time, then, it will take GPS few minutes longer to find a position of the vehicle.
I tell you this. On my car i also have to disconnect GPS antenna as well, because my nav has a gyro built in. and even me disconnecting all that, I'm still fine after flipping switch back to normal. 2-3 minutes, and I'm back in business.
so you'll bein better shape then I'm
Old March 8th, 2007, 1:03 AM
CF Senior Member

hey gm geek when are you going to hook frank and me up with are nav's (i know who you are now)

Quick Reply: Ipod interface options