Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ipod lockpick

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod lockpick

Do any of you know how good this product from coastaletechcis from experience? i haveread that there are limitations, what are they? Also does any other company have anything better than coastaletech....

any news on peripherials product?
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ipod lockpick

I have the Ipod Lockpick and everything does work like advertised and I'm pretty happy with it. However I think the way you access playlists/albums/artist isn't as clean as it could be.

I just found this YouTube clip on Scosche's Ipod adapter and from what I have seen it's similar to get into the Ipod mode from XM, but the menu layout is better in my opinion.

But I think there will be serious delay on initial ipod plug in because it appears the Scoche need to do full download of the tracks before allowing you to play.

The lockpick reads as it goes so there is slight delay when forwarding thru tracks or accessing categories, but no long delay to initially read the database. Maybe some Scosche owners can chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywi8Tmm1Opk
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:40 PM
CF Senior Member

I also have the iPod Lockpick... It is exactly as it is advertised - if you watch their 'demo' video online, that is exactly what you would see in your vehicle.

Is it absolutely perfect - no... But it is worth every dime spent on it considering that others are far better and much more expensive.

The only 'issue' that I have is that often times, when I start my 'hoe, the radio defaults to the iPod and not to XM. It takes less than 5 seconds to recify that.

Go for it -- installation really does take 2 minutes!!! That it, if your glove box is already empty...

Good luck....
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

thanks 4 the replies, which ones are you talking about that are better and more expensive?
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
CF Active Member

I think I found a flaw (or is it "lack of a feature") with the GM Lockpick w/NAV.

There isn't a way to "shuffle" or "random" play a playlist. It will play sorted by either the filename which in my case is the artist first, then the track. This is kind of annoying since if you throw in a CD with MP3's on it, there is a "random" button.

I thought maybe iTunes or the onboard iPod menu has a way to shuffle to your playlist, but that is only duringplay back.

I've researched the Scosche and the PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) and they both seem NOTto have a "shuffle" play. Anybody have a GM LAN interface for an Ipod that actually shuffles playback?

BTW going a little off topic, has anyone burned 4 gigs of MP3s to a DVD-ROM and tried to play it on the 07 Nav? Will it read it?
Old August 20th, 2007, 6:14 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: snomon

BTW going a little off topic, has anyone burned 4 gigs of MP3s to a DVD-ROM and tried to play it on the 07 Nav? Will it read it?
Sadly, it will not read the disc. I tried an 8GB disc first (since I had a bunch of those laying around), then I dug up a 4GB disc and that wouldn't play either. As soon as the drive sees any kind of DVD, it switches to movie playback mode and reports an error. (The really sad part is that my 4 year old Benz could do this...)

Actually, I should add this caveat: this time around I accidentally ordered a bunch of DVD+R discs and in certain drives those aren't as compatible as DVD-R discs. (No longer really an issue with home electronics, but car manufacturers aren't exactly known for their grasp of cutting-edge technology.)
Old August 20th, 2007, 6:24 AM
e
CF Senior Member

Ihave the peripheral pxpd3 but I have no nav so I dont know how fast it loads but on the non nav there are no wait times. You can shuffle but there is no button for it to be called up from the radio. You put the interface in manual mode, use the ipod menu screen to select shuffle and then put the interface back in advanced mode. It takes about 10 secondsI leave it in shuffle mode most of the time and if I really want to listen to something I search thru the radio in advanced mode. Again after I hear that song and if I want to shuffle its back to switching modes. Overall I love the piece, works with my iphone as well. Rings through the speakers, mutes, and pauses the ipod. Returns to music after hangup
Old August 20th, 2007, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know if the lockpick or the Scosche works with the LS six disc changer, or does it only work with the touchscreens?
Old August 20th, 2007, 9:30 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: mygreeneyez

Does anyone know if the lockpick or the Scosche works with the LS six disc changer, or does it only work with the touchscreens?
Coastal ETech has a different black box for this radio, works for iPod and iPhone: See this link:

http://www.coastaletech.com/iPHONE%20INTERFACE.htm
Old August 20th, 2007, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Snomon...

Quick Reply: Ipod lockpick