Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

IPod Touch won't play video in rear flip-down

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod Touch won't play video in rear flip-down

I can't seem to find the answer on this here. I hooked my IPod touch up to the rear RCA jack and tried to play a movie for my daughter. I was able to get sound on the speakers but no video. I pulled over and once in park the video played on the front NAV screen but still not on the rear screen. The dvd works fine and I don't think there are any other issues. I doubt that the rear RCA inputs are to be used with the front screen, so it seems that something is not working properly. I am using an Apple RCA adapter cable.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
'08 'burban LTZ
Old August 30th, 2009, 9:19 PM
CF Active Member

What year vehicle? You need to select aux video input for video to work on rear video screen.
Old August 30th, 2009, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

2008. I tried the aux from the dash unit and I tried reaching back and doing it from the center console control panel. Only got video on NAV screen. Had audio the whole time.
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your iPod a gen 2 or gen 1?
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

ipod touch gen 2
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

That could be what your problem is. I have had numerous compatability issues with my accessories that I bought when I had the 1st gen. My Sony radio in the Blazer will play songs, but it won't charge it or give me the ability to change songs with the Ipod. I have to change them through the radio.
Old August 31st, 2009, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

But it plays on the NAV screen, which I would think would have the most issues. The rear flip down should just come from the yellow rca cable input to a y-adapter somewhere. At least that's how it makes sense to me.
Old August 31st, 2009, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Do you have any other type of player you can try. A home DVD player. try in your garage . see if it will play on the rear screen. if nogo still them I think you have a problem. if it works it could be the the i pod touch.

I will agree with you ..if it works up front it should work in the rear.
Old August 31st, 2009, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Just checked with another device. Same thing. Plays up front but not in second row screen. And the source button in the rear console doesn't seem to do anything at all. It isn't changing the main source, unless it is only supposed to control what comes out of the headphones. I think the source button worked when switched to dvd. But not the radio or xm. Something just isn't right.
Old August 31st, 2009, 4:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
That could be what your problem is. I have had numerous compatability issues with my accessories that I bought when I had the 1st gen. My Sony radio in the Blazer will play songs, but it won't charge it or give me the ability to change songs with the Ipod. I have to change them through the radio.

I don't mean to hijack this thread.....

Brent, check out this nice little charging adaptor that should fix your problem. it plugs inline with the sony adaptor.
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667

And back to the original problem......there is a rectangular thing usually found in the glove compartment. white in color, a bunch of pages with some writing on it.....uaully referred to as the owners manual.....sound familiar?
haha....not trying to be rude but a lot of problems that customers have can be resolved be simply reading about what their vehicle can and cannot do....here is an exerpt from the Rear Seat Entertainment portion of the manual...If it doesn't work after trying what the manual says to do...bring it into the dealer

Audio/Video (A/V) Jacks

The A/V jacks, located on the rear of the floor console, allow audio or video signals to be connected from an auxiliary device such as a camcorder or a video game unit to the RSE system. Adapter connectors or cables (not included) might be required to connect the auxiliary device to the A/V jacks. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for proper usage.
The A/V jacks are color coded to match typical home entertainment system equipment. The yellow jack (A) is for the video input. The white jack (B) is for the left audio input. The red jack (C) is for the right audio input.
Power for auxiliary devices is not supplied by the radio system.
To use the auxiliary inputs of the RSE system, connect an external auxiliary device to the color-coded A/V jacks and turn both the auxiliary device and the video screen power on. If the video screen is in the DVD player mode, pressing the AUX (auxiliary) button on the remote control switches the video screen from the DVD player mode to the auxiliary device. The radio can listen to the audio of the connected auxiliary device by sourcing to auxiliary. See Radio(s)for more information.

How to Change the RSE Video Screen Settings

The screen display mode (normal, full, and zoom), screen brightness, and setup menu language can be changed from the on screen setup menu. To change any feature, do the following:
  1. Press the (display menu) button on the remote control.
  2. Use the remote control , , , (navigation) arrows and the (enter) button to use the setup menu.
  3. Press the button again to remove the setup menu from the screen.

Last edited by shawnvw; August 31st, 2009 at 4:57 PM.

Quick Reply: IPod Touch won't play video in rear flip-down