Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ipod whine when hooked to charger

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod whine when hooked to charger

Hi All.

First time here-Hoping someone can help me out! I have a 2007 LT3 Tahoe and I am trying to use my Ipod. I used to use my Ipod in another vehicle via the cassette player and that worked great. We recently purchased the Tahoe (certified used) so now I am able to plug the Ipod in directly to the Aux spot. When the Ipod is attached to the charger, there is a "whining" sound that is fairly loud and varies with acceleration. (This sound is also heard via the portable DVD player we have in the back, but not as loud) When the Ipod is not attached to the charger, the music from the Ipod sounds like it is being played in a cave a few feet away.

Any thoughts on improving this?

Thanks! Jodi
Old May 7th, 2008, 9:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Ipod whine when hooked to charger

This might help http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ahLs788...ech/kb348.html

summary
Noise Problem Troubleshooting: Whining noise

If you have a whining noise in your system that varies in pitch with the RPM of the engine (and disappears when the engine is off), then you are experiencing alternator whine.

The alternator on your car produces Alternating Current (AC), but then converts it to Direct Current (DC) by means of a bank of diodes known as a rectifier bridge. The noise that you hear from the alternator is known as "ripple", and is caused by some of the alternating current slipping past the diodes. It can be picked up by components either over the power supply, over the signal path, directly through the case of a component, and through control or output leads.
Old May 8th, 2008, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called engine whine. Occurs when you use a device like that through a source like the plug on the radio. There's a filter you can purchase that will reduce or eliminate the noise. The other thing you can do is turn the volume all the way up on your device and down on the truck's radio.
Old May 9th, 2008, 6:50 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The cause for engine whine is almost always a poor connection somewhere along the way. Some aftermarket chargers are susceptible to picking up engine noise through the use of the cig adaptor and cannot be cleard without the use of a noise filter BMoTahoe spoke of. Most radio shack's carry the filter

check it out here
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=970