Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Just got a '91 Suburban!

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2018, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a '91 Suburban!

Just got a '91 forest-service-seafoam-green 4x4 2500 burb with 175k and I'm stoked. First time owning a full size rig. Coming from a 96 yota t100 with a wimpy 3.4 V6. The burb has a few "quirks" as is to be expected and I'm hoping for some knowledge from this community.

1. Tranny shifts rough from 1 to 2, slips in 2nd about 5% of the time, but shifts well between other gears. I know a new tranny/rebuild is in my future, but how long can I keep it rolling as is? I know I risk getting stranded but honestly, it's a risk i'm willing to take if I can realistically make it many months if not years as is.

2. Coolant temp indicator on my dash isn't working properly. It moves around when driving, but is not accurate. After driving around long enough to get the engine hot, the needle only goes up a few degrees, basically sitting on cold. When climbing a long pass, the needle moved up a few more degrees but not even to the middle. I know it's working to an extent, but far from fully. What needs fixing? The gauge? The coolant temp sensor? Something else?

3. I've got one of the rolly window tailgate models. I would have preferred the barn doors out of simplicity but here we are. The motor is garbage. I can get the window up and down, but only with great struggle and a good soaking in wd40. I'm tempted to gerry-rig an old truck canopy window on this so I don't have to deal with the motor. After taking the gate apart as much as I could, I see replacing the widow mechanism is going to be a royal pain in the ***. I can get a whole gate from a yard for $125 but the status of that window mech. is unknown. I've heard talk on the forums of a barn door swap but I think that's going to require a bit more fab-ing than I'm comfortable with. Any suggestions?

4. Front driver door is slightly misaligned. rattles on bumpy roads. whats my fix so I don't go insane on washboards and anything remotely close to offroad?

5. Lifting this bad bitch; solid front axel means easy and cheap install. I want to keep it cheap but i don't want to **** up the truck. a 4" is all I need so I can eventually put 35s underneath. I have the v2500 model but can I throw a kit for a v1500 on there to get a smoother ride? i dont do any heavy towing and would appreciate a more supple ride to towing rigidity. blocks vs new leafs in the rear. any one better than the other?

6. Anything i need to be aware of? common problems with these models? anything besides fluids change right off the bat? is my timing chain good forever or do i need to do something about it?

Happy to be part of this community. Coming from yota forums I was wondering if you chevy guys were going to be as thorough but I see i can put my worries to rest. ]

Cheers,
Evan
Old January 12th, 2018, 3:50 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some projects ahead of you.
Old January 12th, 2018, 4:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome! I have a 93 with 350k on it so you have some driving to do!
Door - probably need new hinge pins
Temperature - mine did this and fixed with new sensor (down low on block drivers side on my 93)
Tranny - how's fluid level color & smell?
Old January 13th, 2018, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice from Rednucleus!

You're not going to fix everything at once, so just pluck one off at a time and you'll get them all done. Make a list and go to it. I would start with the easy ones first as Red said, the door hinge pins and temperature sensor are pretty easy fixes. As you probably don't know much about the history of your Suburban, I would change the tranny filter and fluid regardless of the color of the fluid. That way you know where you stand with it. Not a cure all but surprisingly sometimes that's all it needs.

I would not make any modifications until all issues are solved, you really don't have many and it shouldn't take long. Whatever you do, don't "gerry-rig" anything. It a bad practice and really doesn't solve anything.

Let Google and Youtube be your best friend. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Quick search and came up with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=91+suburban+rear+gate+mechanism+replace&i e=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Good Luck

Tom

Last edited by Silverfox103; January 13th, 2018 at 12:16 PM.