Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Key Power and parking light power - GMT900

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key Power and parking light power - GMT900

I'd like to wire my radar detector to on/off w/the key...

I poked around behind the mirror and it's too much a PITA.

Someone said there is a power post on the passenger side that's easy to get to. That's on/off w/the key since none of the lighters are...

I'd also like to tap my parking lamps to add some running board lights... has anyone done this, or found an easy location to grab 12v from? they are all LED, so they draw next to nothing for power.

thanks!

Photos are even better if you can!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Well its not exactly what you were looking for but its a place to look...
I added a hidden 12v on at all times for my Garmin, I did it to remove the power cord from always being plugged in to the console outlets as it kinda ruins the looks.... Its hard to see the 12v outlet behind the support but it works well and I can conceal all the power cord all the way to the dash, where it comes out for the Navi...
Anyway you may want to check this panel for what you are looking for as the other available pins may be key powered....
Attached Thumbnails Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8740.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8741.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8742.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8743.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8744.jpg  

Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

random question (sorry) but why are the lighter outlets always powered on even with the car off...
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Addict

Default Kewl

I will check there for pins, hopefully 2night or this weekend... I have it running to the lighter now, and always forget to unplug it, and the looks are bleck. I want to conseal the wiring.

As for why it's on all the time? Ask GM. They built it. In my wife's tribute and my Wrangler, there was 1 hot all time and 1 on/off with the key. That's the best way. Then you can tap either behind the socket to get the power you want / need and just use the factory fuse.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my dads new Mustang the top one is always on but the one in the glove box is only with the key.
honestly I don't see why any of them would always be on but thats just me
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
CF Addict

Default well...

I'm sure there are many scenarios that it would help, like my GPS that turns off when you take out the key... when jeeping I don't want it to turn off, because then I have to manually turn it back ON. I also don't want my CB to turn off just because I shut off the car... for pictures or lunch or whatever... so... Jeep and Ford give you a CHOICE... you have TWO outlets. One hot. One Keyed. It's the best of both worlds.

GM gives you no choice.

Has anyone tapped the parking lamps for anything?

I want 2 LED 'clearence' lights on the sides, on the vertical part of the running boards, I think it would look nice / neat...
Old November 3rd, 2010, 1:15 PM
Administrator

a bit off topic but here is another nice little gadget...(cleaning up the console)
its a ultra-mini USB adapter... I just wish the flip door would close over it...
I have intended to take the door off but just haven't pursued it yet...
Attached Thumbnails Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8748.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8747.jpg   Key Power and parking light power - GMT900-img_8749.jpg  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I'm sure there are many scenarios that it would help, like my GPS that turns off when you take out the key... when jeeping I don't want it to turn off, because then I have to manually turn it back ON. I also don't want my CB to turn off just because I shut off the car... for pictures or lunch or whatever... so... Jeep and Ford give you a CHOICE... you have TWO outlets. One hot. One Keyed. It's the best of both worlds.

GM gives you no choice.

Has anyone tapped the parking lamps for anything?

I want 2 LED 'clearence' lights on the sides, on the vertical part of the running boards, I think it would look nice / neat...
You might see what is available right behind the light switch.... or to the IP panel
Old November 3rd, 2010, 2:30 PM
CF Addict

Default switch

I would imagine that switch carries very little power, tapping it there might be bad as it most likely goes to the BCM to a relay... Behind the headlight or even tail light might be easier if I knew the exact color... I could figure that out with a multi meter I have.

I have after market tails that I would tap for ground and parking power.... then I'm not splicing anything factory side...
Old November 3rd, 2010, 3:19 PM
Damien0869

Hey In2pro, great little addition the USB Adapter, may I ask where you purchased that?

Thank you in advance and for the post I recently saw an outlet like that in a 2011 Yukon Rental. Now I don't have to order the whole outlet from GM, thanks to your post. AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Key Power and parking light power - GMT900