Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Knocking sounds from water pump

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2023, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sounds from water pump

I have a 2016 Suburban and had recently done a cam swap/DoD delete. I had finished up and when I was tuning it I noticed the knock retard kept kicking on infrequently at idle. I tried to listen to where it was coming from and it was from the front of the engine. I originally thought it was chain slap or a bad pump/pulley but after further investigation via stethoscope it is coming directly from the thermostat housing. I plan to replace the thermostat and hopefully fix the problem but I would like to know if anyone else had similar problems or other possibilities if this isn’t the problem.
Old August 8th, 2023, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by ImFunctionz
I have a 2016 Suburban and had recently done a cam swap/DoD delete. I had finished up and when I was tuning it I noticed the knock retard kept kicking on infrequently at idle. I tried to listen to where it was coming from and it was from the front of the engine. I originally thought it was chain slap or a bad pump/pulley but after further investigation via stethoscope it is coming directly from the thermostat housing. I plan to replace the thermostat and hopefully fix the problem but I would like to know if anyone else had similar problems or other possibilities if this isn’t the problem.
I replaced the thermostat with no change, going to check under timing cover to see if there is any indication of chain slap. The reason I initially believed it was the water pump was because I had a high fluctuation of coolant in the reservoir at idle. I now realize it is probably due to the frequency of power spikes from the cam not being very consistent. If the timing chain is not the problem then I suppose I’ll be pulling the heads to inspect my valves and pistons.