Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Leaky Oring on new AC reciever/dryer to evaporator, 97 Suburban

Old July 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Oring on new AC reciever/dryer to evaporator, 97 Suburban

Recently I opened my AC system on my 97 Suburban to replace the hoses with the high and low pressure valves and the condenser. So I also replaced the receiver/dryer with a new one from NAPA. The new one came with Orings, but when I put them on they seemed to be too small on the side going to the evaporator. So I pulled it off and put on a little thicker Oring I got from an Autozone kit. It seemed to hold, for a while. But then after about 2 weeks it started to leak again.

I tightened it more, but I still have some dye leaking out when it shuts down. Running it doesn't seem to leak. But being low pressure side, when I shut down it starts to leak a little and I can see a very small bubble of dye coming out sometimes. With a sniffer I don't pick up a leak with the compressor running. But after I shut down and the pressure equalizes it starts beeping on me that there's a leak.

I did have a pinhole leak in one of the rear lines on the low side, and put in some "super seal" which actually worked on the pinhole leak without replacing the rear line. I don't know if it will help on my oring leak on the dryer though?

I'm thinking of returning the dryer to NAPA and getting a different one and take a good look at the orings. It just seems bizarre that they are too skinny. When I removed the fitting going to the evaporator it was difficult and I was concerned about the threads. But I am able to get it tight, so I would think my real issue is still the oring.

Any suggestions, other than hoping super seal will plug it! ??

Thanks,

David