Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lean condition bank1 and bank2

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 2:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

But on the newer vehicles the pump and filter are often built into the same assembly, so to replace the filter requires dropping the tank...

I have done 4 myself, and have it down to about 2 hrs if you apply yourself to 4 hrs if you have a beer and shoot the breeze with the neighbor asking what you are working on

It really is not hard, just need the proper tools, jack stands, jack, a few specialty fuel line release clips (cheap at harbor freight) a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and some siphon hose.... a spotter and extinguisher as also recommended...
Old July 8th, 2013, 8:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, I went with the mid grade instead of the OEM because it was in stock and the other wasn't. I got everything back together and it seems to have resolved my issue as it clearly runs better now. However, the gas gauge is reading incorrectly now. If I have to take it back, I'm going to pony up the extra $30 and get the Delphi.
Old July 8th, 2013, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Bummer on the gas gauge not reading correctly. Did you get new pump only or complete module? I've read that one of the wires that runs near the float assembly sometimes gets caught inbetween the assembly when reinstalling the pump and somehow binds and doesn't allow the float to correctly report levels. Hope it works out without having to tear down the whole darn thing again.
Old July 8th, 2013, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't get an AcDelco of Delphi it will fail premature. Most others fail in days weeks or months from install. There is no mid grade pump. Your lucky now only your gas gauge does not work. Did your pump come with a new connector you had to splice to the body side of the pump harness.
Old July 9th, 2013, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If you don't get an AcDelco of Delphi it will fail premature. Most others fail in days weeks or months from install. There is no mid grade pump. Your lucky now only your gas gauge does not work. Did your pump come with a new connector you had to splice to the body side of the pump harness.
Ok, maybe there's no mid-grade pump but it was at a mid-grade price and the guy told be it was mid-grade quality. He knows more that me about that stuff than I do. It did come come with a harness but I did not have to use it as the factory connector hooked straight up to the new pump.
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM
CF Junior Member

FYI, this appears to have fixed my issue. I used to have to hit the starter twice for it to start - gone, low idle - gone, check engine light coming on - so far, gone. What is not gone is power, it has come back.
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to hear the pump resolved the issue :-) thanks for the follow up !