Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lift gate Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2011, 8:41 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift gate Problem

I have a 06 Tahoe and the lift gate opens on its own when I unlock the doors. What could be causing this?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 2:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jhargett,

I have checked my resources and was unable to find any known issues regarding the lift gates on Tahoe vehicles. Is this a regular occurrence? How often does it happen? It may be the lift gate actuator. You may want to stop by your local dealer for an inspection.

I look forward to your response.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:33 PM
New User

It's happened several times. I have come out to where it's parked and the lift gate is up. You can also hear it start to raise at times but it won't raise it will just unlock
Old December 23rd, 2011, 8:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you, by chance, have a power lift gate? The reason I ask is maybe there is a wiring issue somewhere that is causing it to lift when it is not supposed to.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Might want to pop open your remote to make sure the contact pads are not contaminated, and are causing multiple buttons to activate at the same time.
If you have a second fob might give it a try as that will help eliminate the remote as an issue...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 3:17 PM
New User

Yes it is a power lift gate. It doesn't do it if I have the doors locked or the switch overhead in the off position
Old December 26th, 2011, 1:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jhargett,

It's difficult to say, it could be an actuator issue. However, ChevyFreak makes a great point about the wiring. Does this only occur when the doors are unlocked or has it happened at other times as well? Does it happen every time or intermittently?

Have you taken the vehicle in for an inspection? If so, were they able to duplicate the problem?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe Lift Gate Issue

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe with only 43,000 miles on it. The rear lift gate will not fully open in the power lift mode. By hand or remote it only opens about 1/3 of the way and shuts again. If I change the lift gate mode to manual it will open with difficulty but will not stay open and slams shut. What is the problem?
Jeff
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default height adjust

I know some power lift ones can be set to only lift to a specified height.

I do not know if that applies to the 11 Tahoe.

Sounds more like the support struts are worn out?
Old May 27th, 2014, 3:54 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, I second the support strut(s) theory...

Quick Reply: Lift gate Problem