Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lockpick for 2007 Suburban LTZ

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z71Psycho
A109Driver, I believe the difference is the ability to connect the apple devices, and additional cameras, as well as headrest monitors. If you don't have the use for any of those features then of coarse the Gen 6 may be your better option. For me everything it does with connecting a ipod was worth the difference. But it did lead me to spending another $320 for a 32gig ipod that does some of what my android phone does. I would rather watch movies from my ipod then have dvd cases around.
You have more time and money than I do. I may get that high tech someday but for now, we're sticking to DVD's. Do you record movies from DVD's on to your ipod? It seems like that would be time consuming.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so adding a rear view camera will just be plugging it in throughout the av input. will it automatically detect reverse signal to show up. I'm sure it will need to be taped to reverse wire signal to do this..but it does have the option. .right? it does not need to be clicked on manually every time it is needed.? i hope it does.. i just ordered one through amazing for 279.99. hope it works well. I'm really interested in camera input and iPod integration.. the dvd and nav bypass is an added bonus for me..
Old April 3rd, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by A109Driver
You have more time and money than I do. I may get that high tech someday but for now, we're sticking to DVD's. Do you record movies from DVD's on to your ipod? It seems like that would be time consuming.
No I do not record movies from a dvd to my ipod. Most movies you buy nowadays come with digital copy. So it's free to download a copy of that movie to your ipod. I haven't done it yet, but you can stream netflix using your apple device as well.

To me the ability to view movies in any manner only means something if you have kids, or you travel some distance.

But let me point out there is more to all of then then just what I have mentioned thus far. You can simply view pic's and shown them on each monitor. Hook your camcorder up and view video you just took...and so on.

Here's my favorite vid demo.
Lockpick front and side mounted cameras on 07 Tahoe - YouTube

And this shows you hands on all about the GMX550.
GMX550 Lockpick Demonstrarion - YouTube
Old April 3rd, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SamEnnabi
so adding a rear view camera will just be plugging it in throughout the av input. will it automatically detect reverse signal to show up. I'm sure it will need to be taped to reverse wire signal to do this..but it does have the option. .right? it does not need to be clicked on manually every time it is needed.? i hope it does.. i just ordered one through amazing for 279.99. hope it works well. I'm really interested in camera input and iPod integration.. the dvd and nav bypass is an added bonus for me..
If your vehicle already has a factory back up camera you can tap right into it. It comes on when you put the vehicle in reverse. Or you can manually turn the camera's on at anytime while driving.

It works with aftermarket cameras all the same. If you don't have one you'll just need to buy one. But it does what you need it to do through the GMX550.

Btw, I want to remind anyone reading this there are people who have said they had trouble working their lockpick. I read the instructions and have not had any trouble.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 2:49 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I read the instructions and have not had any trouble.
How embarrassing!

Read the instructions, tell me it ain't so.
Old April 6th, 2012, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

No I do not record movies from a dvd to my ipod. Most movies you buy nowadays come with digital copy. So it's free to download a copy of that movie to your ipod. I haven't done it yet, but you can stream netflix using your apple device as well.

To me the ability to view movies in any manner only means something if you have kids, or you travel some distance.

But let me point out there is more to all of then then just what I have mentioned thus far. You can simply view pic's and shown them on each monitor. Hook your camcorder up and view video you just took...and so on.

Here's my favorite vid demo.
Lockpick front and side mounted cameras on 07 Tahoe - YouTube

And this shows you hands on all about the GMX550.
GMX550 Lockpick Demonstrarion - YouTube
That sounds pretty simple for movie viewing. Better than trying to record them to your iphone. I have 4 kids, but only two at home. They're both teens, and enjoy watching movies, but only one per drive usually. Only about once a year we all get together and take a trip, so it's not really that big a deal. I would like the ability to show movies on the front screen just so my daughter (or wife) can watch from the front seat. Each of them gets car sick if they sit in back and don't keep their eyes outside. They don't get sick from the front seat.

Programming the GPS while in motion would also be handy on trips. Right now I use a Garmin Nuvi on a suction cup. I program both the factory GPS and Garmin to our destination before takeoff, then while enroute, I use the Garmin to find restaurants, stores, hotels, etc, since the OEM GPS wont do any detours without stopping to reprogram.

I'm pretty disappointed with the factory GPS. For the price, you would think it would do a better job of naviagting. My little $80 Garmin takes me right to the front door of any address I put in. The factory GPS will only take me to the neighborhood, but doesn't know the smaller side streets. The factory GPS isn't nearly as user friendly either.

Those videos were great. They do a great job showing the capabilities of the Lockpick.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

The factory GPS system is a joke. Actually it's good for a first time owner. But for the money invested it's pathetic for what you get. It would be so bad if they kept it updated, but they don't. The Garmin stuff is way ahead of the factory stuff. I'm very very close to replacing all my stuff with Kenwood's new DNX-9980HD receiver. I have always went the aftermarket route in the past but I thought I would try to stay with factory stuff here on my Z71 Tahoe. Recently I have found myself searching more and more each day to add things to my factory setup and I know if I ever reach a ending point with getting the things I want, I will regret not going the aftermarket route. It's actually very easy to replace the factory equipment without butchering up wiring harnesses and stuff to where you can put the factory stuff back in your vehicle if you sell it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

If your vehicle already has a factory back up camera you can tap right into it. It comes on when you put the vehicle in reverse. Or you can manually turn the camera's on at anytime while driving.
How can one turn on the reverse camera "at anytime while driving"???

I've been wanting this on my 2011, but the way I understand it, you can't do that. That would be SUCH a nice feature while trailering!
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

^^^ From what I understand, it can't be done on a stock vehicle. This is one of the many features offered with the Lockpick.