Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lockpick for 2007 Suburban LTZ

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2012, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockpick for 2007 Suburban LTZ

I'm looking for a Lockpick system for my 07 Suburban to enable DVD viewing for my frontseat passenger, and enable GPS programing while moving. If anyone has a review of the available systems, good or bad, or knows where I can get one for a decent price, please let me know.

Thanks, John
a109driver@yahoo.com
Old March 31st, 2012, 6:34 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

A search of the forum for lock pick will give you lots to read about....

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results
Old March 31st, 2012, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

I bought and installed what is shown in the below link. Not sure if I'm breaking any forum rules by posting a link to an outside vendor. If I am I'm sorry!

Anyway it has worked flawlessly for me so far. I have used it for 2 months now. I use my ipod with it and watch movies that I have down loaded to the ipod. The steering wheel controls work perfectly. The only thing I have not tried or used is the option of streaming netflix movies. No clue about any part of that.

I have added headrest monitors and additional cameras all which are ran through the device in the link.

I will say just like any other device it has it's own characteristics that once you get use to it everything should run smoothly for you. Btw, mounted mine on the back of the glovebox with easy access to any plugs or switches I may want to get to later on for whatever reason. I used velcro.

GMX550
Old March 31st, 2012, 8:36 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Z71Psycho Welcome to the forum...
Links to products, video's and other how to's are fine. You just can't have them in your signature or any other way that would be endorsing or profiting from the link without being a sponsor to this site... The coastaletech link is a pretty common one that is posted
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

in2pro, I have read several threads about Lockpicks, but noticed that most are several years old, and information might have changed. I also read several people asking for more information on those threads, and the answers they received were to start their own thread, so that's what I did.

Z71Psycho, Thanks for the reply. I've read some older threads online that indicated Coastal Electronics did not have very friendly customer service. Maybe they've worked their way past that by now.

It looks like the two most popular Lockpicks are both made by Coastal, the GEN 6 GM and the GMX550. What is the difference between those two systems? Are there any alternatives? I remember reading about another one called NavTV. Does anyone know about that system or if it's still available?

I don't use an iphone, so I don't need that option. I just want to enable GPS programming and DVD viewing (dash screen) on the go. I currently use an $80 Garmin GPS on trips just to have the ability to change routes or look for restaurants while moving.

Quick rant below...

I know that our "Nanny State" government says I shouldn't touch anything while driving, but I'm a helicopter pilot who routinely programs a GPS and changes radio frequencies in flight while communicting with ATC, hospitals, and a dispatcher simultaneously. Aviation in our country would be crippled if every aircraft had to land to change routes, destination, or a frequency on a radio. Proving that I can accomplish these tasks in flight are part of my annual checkrides. I believe if a driver can't safely control a vehicle while manipulating controls on the dashboard, that driver probably should give up his license and ride public transportation. I also use my cell phone (hands free) through helmet mic and headset while riding my motorcycle. Oh, the horror! My goofy liberal friends would probably lock me up for life if they knew of the crimes I commit daily.

Rant over... Thanks for reading.
Old April 1st, 2012, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

I read all the other threads also that didn't have good marks for coastal before buying. Tech support is generally needed due to bad instruction manual. You can download the manual for the GMX550 ahead of time and get a good idea what is needed to do once you receive it. I did not have any trouble installing mine, nor any trouble using it. So the tech or customer support mean nothing to me. I'm not saying the GMX550 is the product to buy. I'm only stating I bought it and I'm happy with the overall results.

I did have to go buy a newer ipod then the one I had because some of the on screen features only work with newer version ipod.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

So, can you tell me what's the advantage of the GMX550 over the GEN 6? The price difference is over $100. I basically want to enable DVD video on the dash screen while in motion and also free up the GPS programming while in motion. Viewing the rearview camera while moving forward is a nice bonus. It seems like both systems do all of these things.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Can't CoastalTech tell you the differences?

A quick browse looks like the Gen 6 doesn't have the Apple connectivity.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

I figured they wouldn't answer questions on the weekend and someone here might know. Plus I'd rather get the straight answer than the company marketing hype. I'm not a fan of Apple products, so I'm more inclinded to buy the less expensive version.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by A109Driver
I figured they wouldn't answer questions on the weekend and someone here might know. Plus I'd rather get the straight answer than the company marketing hype. I'm not a fan of Apple products, so I'm more inclinded to buy the less expensive version.
A109Driver, I believe the difference is the ability to connect the apple devices, and additional cameras, as well as headrest monitors. If you don't have the use for any of those features then of coarse the Gen 6 may be your better option. For me everything it does with connecting a ipod was worth the difference. But it did lead me to spending another $320 for a 32gig ipod that does some of what my android phone does. I would rather watch movies from my ipod then have dvd cases around.

Quick Reply: Lockpick for 2007 Suburban LTZ