Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lowering an 07: DJM or McGaughy's?

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2006, 5:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering an 07: DJM or McGaughy's?

I'm looking at two separate kits: the DJM 3/4 and the McGaughy's 4/5. Has anyone here done a 4/5 drop on the new body style?

I've used McG's in the past and been satisfied with the quality. Can anyone comment on DJM quality?

Very little info on the web about lowering the 2007's. Hopefully, this will spur some discussion and get the information flowing...
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Lowering an 07: DJM or McGaughy's?

It depends what suspension parts you are referring to. I've used both, and McGaughy's is higher quality. The spindles that they make are freaking awesome. I did an Eibach 2/3 drop on my '07 and wish I had gone lower. I may purchase some spindles in the future to lower it more. DJM uses more pieces, so their parts aren't as structurally sound as McG's. Also, some of their components are bad for geometry. (I used some drop control arms and hated it. Major bump steer and bottoming out.) My .02
Old September 28th, 2006, 2:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for relating your experience.

The DJM 3/4 kit supplies upper and lower front control arms and rear coils. I have no first- or second-hand experience with DJM. I know they’ve been around a while, but also know that is not necessarily an endorsement of their product’s quality. Did you use their control arms on your Tahoe? Would you describe the bumpsteer as excessive to the point of being dangerous?

The McG 4/5 kit is spindles/coils in front, and coils in the rear. I used their spindles and shackle/hanger kit on my Silverado SS and agree the quality was fine. There was definitely a reduction in turning radius, but that was (and is) an acceptable trade-off to get the truck down where I want it.

I'd really like to go 5/6, but haven't seen anyone offering such a kit. I suppose I could combine these two kits to get 5 (or 7!) up front, but that might then give me the worst of both worlds. Custom bags are too much money.
Old September 28th, 2006, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

As far as the bump steer promlems, it was very annoying to be turning and going over mild road variences and have the front wheel smack the top of the fenderwell. I had great nitro gas shocks too. It can be dangerous by causing a blow out or making you lose control. The truck I had was an '89 GMC Sierra. Keep in mind, I used these arms in conjunction with some drop spindles for a 4" drop. You can use combinations of components to get to the height you want.