Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Modifications on my 07

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Modifications on my 07

I believe that Biglg is right the resonator should be after the muffler for it to work properly. Frisco, you might want to check to make sure the resonator is after, if not then go back and tell the shop to put it after. The mods sound great, I am saving to get the superchips flashpaq that is going to be the last mod until they come out with a supercharger i.e, Vortech, Kenne Bell, etc. There is one out there I think from wheel to wheel performance. (www.w2wperformance) not sure if the address is right, but something like that. If you have access to a dyno find out about the numbers. I am using the GTECH PRO SS to get my numbers HP-350 TQ 471ft/lbs or close to it.

Old October 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I guess the only other question is performance. Since it took out the drone, and sounds great, is the overall flow and performance restricted due to this placement? Can it harm the engine? Thanks...
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok... found this on automotiveforums.com. I have a glasspack resonator and this explains my set-up exactly:

"When and if you decide to get a cat-back custom exhaust, it is highly recommended by many (read Mike Kojima's article in SCC on custom exhausts. I believe it was the October issue ???) to install a glasspack after the cat. Then the piping will lead to your aftermarket muffler and exit through the tip of your choice.

The glasspack will drastically cut back on in-cabin resonance and will give the exhaust a more milder deeper tone."

Old October 17th, 2006, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

This is getting far to complicated. Is there one system that you would recommend to give a little louder volume and deeper tone?
Old October 17th, 2006, 3:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, I would love to see the definition of glasspack by the article writer. A glass pack as far as I am concerned is a muffler in itself! It is not a resonator. Most resonators, especially factory resonators will be towards the end of the tailpipe, most looking like a second muffler.

However if they are truly talking about a glasspack, you basically now have two mufflers! Glass packs are usually used IN PLACE of a muffler, they are the muffler!

I am by now means a muffler mechanic, but I have had over 25 different exhaust set ups and can tell you that the term glass pack is just a loud sounding muffler. A resonator, it is a resonator! It resonates sound!

If you look at your factory exhaust that was removed from your vehicle, most newer vehicles will have a resonator towards the tip end of the exhaust pipe. It looks like a second, slightly smaller muffler. I havent actually looked at my 07 tahoe version resonator, but I know on my 2005 dodge ram trucks it was exactly as I have described.
Old October 17th, 2006, 5:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Two mufflers or not, I'm happy with the sound and performance.
Old October 17th, 2006, 8:09 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds a little fishy to me to put a resonator or "glass pack" in front of the muffler.

Biglg, you haven't looked at your Tahoe's resonator? How could you miss that god awful ugly thing hanging out from under the rear bumper cover? J/K

That thing is UGLY and has to come off.
Old October 17th, 2006, 8:11 PM
CF Addict

I only had the tahoe for a couple of weeks and havent even bothered looking underneat it yet. HOwever I know normally they are big **** ugly pieces of metal towards the rear of the exhuast.

Has anyone just removed the resonator on the stock exhaust? What does it sound like with the factory exhuast without the resonator?
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

I only had the tahoe for a couple of weeks and havent even bothered looking underneat it yet. HOwever I know normally they are big **** ugly pieces of metal towards the rear of the exhuast.

Has anyone just removed the resonator on the stock exhaust? What does it sound like with the factory exhuast without the resonator?

I read somewhere that someone did that and it didn't really make that big a difference. I have been to so many different forums in the past month I can't remember where I read it though.

~digdug
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

found the message where someone removed resonator

click it

Quick Reply: Modifications on my 07