Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2012, 1:51 PM
NCG
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mpg

Hello, just purchased a 2007 tahoe and im loosing my mind because im only averaging 11.5 mpg. i read about this chip called gforce. Has anyone heard of it?? Any thoughts?
Old May 1st, 2012, 9:51 PM
Site Ambassador

Welcome to CF. I cant sympathize with you because my DD only gets 10mpg. lol
But I'm gonna move your thread over to the tech section, Im sure you will get some help over there.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Is your check engine light on? Do you make a lot of short trips? How many miles on the vehicle? Are you driving it around with 4x4 engaged all the time? Transmission shifts through all gears correctly? Stock-sized tires? Post more details.

Also, next time you fill up, reset the fuel used and one of your trip odometers, and hand-calculate your mileage next time you fill up. Maybe the computer thinks the truck is consuming more fuel than it really is.

Verify that your speedometer reads correctly. Use the timer in the DIC or a watch with a second hand, set the cruise at 60 MPH and drive ten miles on the highway by the mile post signs. Compare that ten miles to your trip odometer, which should also say 10.0 miles. If it takes you significantly more or less than 10 minutes, or your trip odo is off, then the truck is not reading your speed and distance traveled correctly.

I average about 12 MPG in my 05 Suburban 5.3 and that is mostly CITY TOWING. Unless every trip you make is 1 or 2 miles, or you are a real lead foot, something must be wrong with your truck.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:25 PM
NCG
CF Beginner

2007 v8 2wd 55,000 miles short trips mostly shifts great! Stock tires.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:28 PM
NCG
CF Beginner

Hey Scooch! I appreciate that! Lol our mpg sucks.. Have to figure something out feel like I got robbed at gun point by the dealer. Lol however I love my hoe she just will not stop drinking
Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

If you are doing mostly short city trips, you might not get much better than 12 MPG. Your truck may be spending a lot of its time outside of closed loop mode, where the oxygen sensors are not warm enough to optimize the air/fuel mix. In addition to that the city MPG just isn't that great on these things. 12 MPG seems a little low, but not by much.

Do those checks across your next couple fill-ups and see if the odo, speedo, and fuel consumption displays are really correct. If you don't find a problem there and your check engine light isn't on, you are going to have to put some miles on it and see what happens in the long term. Keep an eye out for excessive, uneven tire wear. Speaking of tires, be sure to inflate them correctly too!
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

My experience w/ GM computer generated mpg numbers is that they are optimistic, i.e., about 5% high. I validated this by filling up at the same pump many times.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

with my 08 Tahoe I get a regular of 15 mpg city short trips. But I have larger tires and a few bolt ons. I recently took a trip for work and got 19 mpg on the freeway.
Old May 16th, 2012, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

It's also gonna depend on how heavy your foot is and if you're running the A/C. I keep my a/c off as much as possible, 2wd mode and drive with a very light foot. Also check to make sure you have no exhaust restrictions and the Cats and muffler are clear. You may have to take it to a muffler shop for testing. I've seen where a bent exhaust pipe goes undetected but kills performance. After replacing the exhaust system with new equipment, performance goes back up as well as economy. Also make sure the engine is well tuned and clean filters. Do remember you're dragging around a few tons of weight with a 5.3 V8 so you can't expect much mileage. If you want MPG, buy a Smart Car. Although, try traveling long distances with a family of 5 in a Smart Car....
Glenn