Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2006, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new Tahoe turned into a rattle trap in one night?

I have the 2007 twin brother Yukon. It has a rattle that is coming from the dash area, near the airbag. The vehicle has also developed a clunk, metal typesound and I do not know where it is coming from....appears to be outside.

Old December 21st, 2006, 3:41 AM
CF Junior Member

GOMOJO54, I have the clunk noise too. It sounds like somwhere in the steering, but I cannot tell exactly. I have only heard it maybe 3 or 4 times while turning. I only have the Tahoe for little over a week with 600 miles on it.
Did you try dealer and if so, did they find something so far ?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Update on the rattling Tahoe... Just drove it for the first time in about 4 days and it is silent again. I am now speculating that it has something to do with humidity and ambient temps. - The night the rattling began we had warmed up to about 80 degrees that day here in Texas. Tonight it was about 52 and the rattling stopped completely. Confusing to say the least. All I can really do is keep my ears open and if the rattle comes back to stay on a permanent basis take it to the dealer at that time.

The Hoe is running great and it's a blast to drive. I'm looking forward to when the engine breaks in even more in a few thousand miles. I may have to stop using the E85 for a while though as our mileage has been pretty bad running about 13.5 mpg with city driving. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions for the rattle.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 1:08 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

13.5 mpg isn't really too bad when it's new. Especially with E85 which hurts a little.

Mine started out a about 12.0-12.5 in town. At 4,000 mi and Mobil 1, it's up to about 14. Some on this forum have reported gains up to about 7,500 mi.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: 07LS

GOMOJO54, I have the clunk noise too. It sounds like somwhere in the steering, but I cannot tell exactly. I have only heard it maybe 3 or 4 times while turning. I only have the Tahoe for little over a week with 600 miles on it.
Did you try dealer and if so, did they find something so far ?
Hey 07LS....I have not taken my rig to the dealership yet. I actually have two issues: One is a rattle/vibration in the glove compartment door. I isolated it today by closing a rag in the glove box door and it stopped the rattle. I had originally thought the rattle might be the air bag.

The other rattle/clunk appears to be under the hood, near the firewall. It sounds like a lid on a pan that rattles when I hit a bump. Something might be loose, but I cannot locate the cause. It appears to come from an area behind the glove box, in the engine bay.

My vehicle has 600 miles on it and was built in May 06.
Old July 28th, 2012, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

bladestratford, Did you ever figure out what the rattling was? I just bought a 2012 that is used but certified. After getting it home I realized the same rattling sounds seem to be coming from everywhere and possibly all 4 doors. Sounds like an old beater truck and is mostly noticeable at low speeds going over bumpy roads. I love the Tahoe but this is driving me crazy! Anyone have success with a similar issue?
Old July 30th, 2012, 8:47 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nope

no success with mine, I'm too busy to hunt for rattles right now, but plan to this winter. The whole truck just feels like $hit when this happens... mine's been rattling since 6 miles on it, when I bought it.